Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Trade post: A second helping


Day number one of my spring semester. Done.

I had a few trade packages waiting for me when I got home (I've got a three-hour break in between classes on Tuesday/Thursday, enough time for an afternoon post!).

And what says "college" more than a little goldfish swallowing?

The first package I'll feature came from David over at "Long Fly Ball to Because...", definitely a blog worth checking out!

David sent me my latest helpings of 2011 American Pie, a great set for any historical pop culture fans out there.

The kid in the Beanie Babies card could've very well been me in my younger days. My first serious hobby was collecting Beanie Babies. I really went all-in with those little stuffed animals.

It seems like so long ago now.




A couple of the foil parallels from American Pie, also from David.

VCRs and Walkmans seem primitive now, but I imagine they were quite the sensation back in the '70s and '80s. They were quite unique for the time period.

Thanks for the trade, David! Hope to make more deals with you in the future!




I really need to keep better track of my incoming trades.

Now, a few things I received today from the great people on "The Bench".

This sort of thing does happen from time to time. I accidentally trade for the same card twice and they both arrive on the same day. Oopsy.




I'm guessing the Pet Rock was one of those "you-had-to-be-there" things. Because today, they just seem, well...odd. It's hard to believe that people once plunked down four bucks for what was basically just a rock.

Another neat American Pie foil parallel, which my scanner does a great job with.




How is it that Jersey Shore got a card in the American Pie base set, but Fred Astaire didn't? Besides that fact that Fred Astaire is a zillion times better than any of those morons on Jersey Shore, I'm guessing that this set was marketed for people that were growing up in generations before the current one. I would think that they'd prefer a card of Fred Astaire over Jersey Shore. (After this post, I will never, ever bring up Jersey Shore again. I promise.)

I'm just glad that Astaire at least makes an appearance in the spectacular "Hollywood Walk of Fame" insert set, along with country legend Hank Williams.




Oh yeah. I also traded for some actual baseball cards, I almost forgot.

Both of these are parallels from 2011 Topps Update.

I'm glad that Topps put out a card of Marquis in a D'Backs uniform. It's one of the ultimate "short term stops" cards, as Marquis only pitched in three games for the D'Backs last year before suffering a season-ending leg injury.

The 39-year-old Mike Cameron is now property of the Washington Nationals, having signed with them last month. I thought he'd be done after hitting just .203 last year between Boston and Florida. I've got a feeling that this 2011 Topps Update card might be his last, though.

Thanks for the trades, everybody!

No comments: