Friday, January 6, 2012

1978 -- The Yankees are "Just What I Needed"

I'm not sure why, but I'm a little tired tonight. Maybe it had something to do with the plethora of cards I showed off in my last post.

Anyways, I've decided to continue with my "MP3 Madness"-themed post, in which I put my MP3 player on random and write about a card from the same year of the first song that comes up. (I know that sentence was a little oddly-worded, but I can't find a different way to say it.)

This time, I'm changing it up a bit. Instead of just writing about a random card from whatever year, I'll be writing about a card from that year's World Series winners.

The first song that came up on my player tonight was "Just What I Needed" by The Cars, found on their groundbreaking debut album from 1978.

I just started to get into the Cars this year and I have to say that I think this is my favorite song of theirs (although that changes from week to week).

Plus, 1978 is a fantastic year to write about.



1978 Topps #335 Bucky Dent

Seriously, if we're talkin' 1978, who else could I write about?

What's featured on Dent's 1978 card was what he was mainly known for before '78. Bunting. He was a terrific bunter. In fact, he led the league in sacrifices in 1975 with 23. (See, I did my research.) 

He was much more known for his fielding than his hitting, though. Even the back of this card says so: "Bucky has excellent range and a strong arm."

The trade that brought him to New York was quite a trade. In 1977, the White Sox sent Dent to the Yankees for Oscar Gamble and Lamarr Hoyt. Bucky Dent, Oscar Gamble, and Lamarr Hoyt all in the same trade.

Of course, Dent is famous for hitting the go-ahead three-run homer in the one game playoff between the Yankees and Red Sox in 1978, after the Red Sox had blown a huge lead in the division.

Up to that point, he had only hit four homers in 1978.

What sometimes goes under the radar is that Dent also won the World Series MVP in 1978. He played a big role in the Yankees' World Series victory over the Dodgers, hitting .417 with seven RBIs.

He'd be traded to Texas midway into the '82 season and would finish his career as a Royal in 1984.

He'll forever be known, however, as Bucky &*$@$ Dent, whether he likes it or not.

Now, enjoy the greatness of The Cars.

No comments: