Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Fun at the ballpark"


Oh, what baseball teams will do to get people to come to games.

Believe it or not, a cow has indeed set foot onto a major-league baseball field. See, Jay Bell is milking one right there. (Now that's a sentence I never thought I'd use.)

That cameraman is getting close to the "action". A little too close, if you ask me.

At the same time, a mysterious arm is shown holding a glass underneath the cow. I guess someone's thirsty.

This card is just odd enough to be great. Who would've thought to put something like this on a baseball card?




Luckily, we don't have to have actual live animals on the field for entertainment.

We've got mascots instead.

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of mascots. I don't really care for the mascot inserts that Topps has put in their Opening Day sets the last few years. But a mascot cameo on a baseball card every once in a while is always fun.

There's Ichiro sharing a laugh with Mr. Met. Maybe Mr. Met just told a dirty joke or something.

I've got no problem with the "classic" mascots like Mr. Met or the Phillie Phanatic.

But what the heck is that other mascot in the distance on this card? I can't even tell what it is. It's got huge hands though, look at the size of that baseball mitt!




This one makes me laugh every time I see it.

I love the contrast. You've got Brad Ausmus in the foreground, looking all serious with his catcher's gear on and everything.

And then you've got that gigantic, goofy-looking Rockies mascot right behind him.

But what's wrong with that? Baseball cards should be a little "goofy" every once in a while.

After all, it's one of the last reminders we have that this was once a kid's hobby.

4 comments:

cynicalbuddha said...

That's obviously Sneaky the Mariner's Weasel!

Mike said...

That's a great Ichiro card!....man,you never showed me that one!...is Mr. Met the one who's head fell off in that HILARIOUS youtube vid we saw?

Nick said...

That one was the Reds mascot. Mr. Met's head has never fallen off, at least to my knowledge.

hiflew said...

Wow I didn't know that Brad Ausmus card existed.

My favorite mascot appearance on a card is the 2008 Topps Taylor Buchholz featuring the Pirate Parrot behind him.