Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Gems of Junk Wax, Pt. 11: 1994 Topps #715 Hank Aaron


This is one of the finest "junk wax" cards I've ever come across. It even puts most current cards to shame.

"Striking" is the only way I can describe the photography displayed on this card. You've got Aaron in the process of hitting his record-breaking 715th home run, and then you've got him holding up the ball that made it happen. (One of the Braves' bullpen crew caught the ball and rushed it back to Aaron by the time he got around the bases.) 

The slight shine on the ball in Aaron's hand brings the entire card together.

Not only that, but it's one of Night Owl's "awesome night cards". And well deserving.

Aaron is the legitimate all-time home run king. 1994 commemorated the 20th anniversary of Aaron's 715th homer, hit on April 8, 1974 off Dodgers pitcher Al Downing. I know Downing was a fairly good pitcher in his day, but the only reason I came to know his name was because he gave up Aaron's famous homer.

An interesting bit of trivia on the back of this card: Aaron's homer was hit at 9:07 PM on the night of April 8.

Although I don't consider him the home run king, I was lucky enough to see Barry Bonds' 756th career homer. It was truly an amazing night and I remember it quite vividly. But I can't imagine what it would've been like to see Aaron break Babe Ruth's hallowed record on that fateful night.

It must have been quite the scene.

1 comment:

'30-Year Old Cardboard said...

Great card (I have one too)!!