Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I know, I know


I know that there's going to be a ton of posts about Mr. Fielder today. But he's one of my favorites and I haven't mentioned him on my blog yet anyways.

So please bear with me, because here comes another post about Prince Fielder.

I've got an idea for another Topps short-print. Reprint this card, only with hundred-dollar bills raining upon Prince Fielder in an airbrushed Tigers uniform. (The sad thing is that I wouldn't put it past Topps to actually do it.)

If you haven't heard already, Fielder signed a nine-year, $214 million contract with the Tigers today.

So not only does Fielder have the greatest card of 2010, he also has an extra $214 million to play around with. (Scratch that, reverse it.)




At first, I was shocked that he signed with the Tigers. I hadn't heard Detroit's name in the Prince Fielder negotiations all off-season until today.

After I heard that the Tigers nabbed him, I immediately thought of this card. Fielder once hit a home run into the upper deck at Tiger Stadium, a difficult task. Oh yeah, one more thing. He was only twelve years old at the time.

Someone also brought up another interesting point that I hadn't thought of before.

It's been well-documented that Prince and his father Cecil don't get along at all. It's intriguing then that Prince would sign with the same team and play the same position that his father played in Detroit.

I've heard that Prince won't even sign any baseballs that were autographed by his dad first. Now that I think of it, I've never seen Prince and Cecil Fielder's autographs together on anything.

I guess money really does talk.




Fielder made $329,500 in his first full year in the bigs in 2006.

Now that's a pay raise.

Although he was a highly-touted prospect, I don't remember hearing much about him until that '06 season.

Everybody knew about him after his 50 homers in 2007.




I used to go to a lot of minor league games when I was younger.

At each game, I'd always pick up a team set from the gift shop at the stadium. One time I went, they must've had an All-Star set or something from the Single-A minor leagues. I bought it and locked it away in my closet without another thought because...well, you probably know how short a ten year-old's attention span is.

About a year ago, I came across the set again while digging through my closet. Flipping it over, I saw that these cards were from 2003.

I'd never heard of most of the guys. But lo and behold, I came across a Prince Fielder card.

All I can think of now is how far away Prince Fielder seems from the depths of Single-A.

No comments: