Wednesday, January 11, 2012

It's refractors on acid, dude


Duuuuuuuuuude.

I think someone at Topps was trippin' when they came up with the design for this insert set. They should try it now, because this card is bitchin', man. (Okay, enough with the '60s lingo.)

I counted eight different colors on the front of this card, not counting the white and black on Vinny Castilla's uniform. This is from the 1999 Topps Chrome "Club 40" refractor insert set. The refractors are a million times better than the regular "Club 40" inserts from the base Topps set in '99.

If only there was a Dock Ellis version of this card.

(Okay, you had to know that there was a Dock Ellis joke coming.)

I don't even really collect Vinny Castilla, so I'm not altogether sure how I came to own this card.

But I know one thing. I'm never getting rid of it.

3 comments:

hiflew said...

"I'm never getting rid of it"

Well I guess that answers my question on whether it is up for trade. I have the non-Chrome version of this one and I honestly didn't know there was a Chromed out one. Another two for the want list.

Nick said...

I just don't think I could bring myself to part with this one, sorry. It's been in my collection for years.

There are a couple on sportlots.com though for less than a buck. There were so many of these 90s parallels issued that I'm sure it's easy to miss a couple.

Fuji said...

Wow... I wish I could get my "refractors" to scan like that. Nice card!