Sunday, July 5, 2015

The dime box frankenset, Page 71: Numbers 631-639


Well, that was a laugher.

Win -- 1973 Topps #627 Luis Alvarado (23 votes)

Place (tie) -- 2013 Topps #624 Justin Ruggiano, 1993 Topps #625 Rick Aguilera (5 votes each)

Show (tie) -- 1975 Topps #626 Larry Haney UER, 1993 Topps #628 Kelly Gruber (1 vote each)

As I expected, Luis Alvarado absolutely obliterated the competition, collecting 23 of the 35 total votes on his way to an effortless victory last week. One of those twenty-three tallies was my own, as the used car lot shot makes for what is easily one of my Top Five favorite cards in this frankenset.

I felt bad for the other competitors in last week's page, as a handful of them (Ruggiano and Aguilera, notably) might've won had they been paired with other groups. (Even the pair of one-vote suspects could've at least held their own on other pages.)

Still, with Mr. Alvarado in the mix, they didn't stand a chance.




I'm not sure if there's a clear winner this week.

It's the first incomplete page we've seen in a while, as I have yet to find a worthy suspect for the #636 slot in my frankenset.

As a result, we only have eight nominees this week, so let's meet them.



1990 Upper Deck #631 Drew Hall

Nice braces. 



1988 Donruss #632 Bob Ojeda

Solid bunting form for a pitcher. 



1992 Upper Deck #633 Jaime Navarro

I can't imagine bases make for comfortable pillows.



2013 Topps #634 Drew Smyly

Throwing it back to the Negro League's Detroit Stars. 



1992 Upper Deck #635 Pete Harnisch

Pitchers don't make for very imposing catchers. 



1990 Upper Deck #637 Trevor Wilson

There's a lot to love about this card (the victory-themed t-shirt/hat, the champagne soaked walls, the rare clubhouse shot), but the taped-up rotary phone in the background gets me every time. 



2013 Topps #638 Andrew Cashner

The jersey may not be the infamous brown-and-gold, but it's a throwback nonetheless. 



1986 Topps #639 Bo Diaz

We close with a classic nighttime play at the plate from '86 Topps.

The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

6 comments:

Tony L. said...

You do realize, of course, that the Jaime Navarro card is as much in action for Navarro as the Bo Diaz card is.

Anonymous said...

I was going to vote for Navarro until I got to Bo Diaz... and it was end of story.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

Go with Bo.

Dan said...

Went with Drew, only because I got him to sign that card for me. www.dailyautograph.com/2014/03/drew-hall.html

Rachel Pond said...

The Navarro card is the best, but it's tough for me to vote against Cashner, one of my favorite Padres.

BobWalkthePlank said...

That Drew Hall gets it for me.