Sunday, March 29, 2015

The dime box frankenset, Page 57: Numbers 505-513


As expected, last week's frankenset voting wasn't much of a contest.

Win -- 1985 Topps #497 Gary Pettis (22 votes)

Place -- 1995 Score #502 Geronimo Berroa (6 votes)

Show -- 1993 Upper Deck #500 Brent Gates CL (5 votes)

Gary Pettis and his Topps switcheroo took the crown by a landslide. His 22 votes were over half of the 41 total tallies we saw last week. He's only the second frankenset nominee to crack the 20-vote barrier.

The Pettis is one of my favorite cards in the entire frankenset, so I knew where my tally was going from day one. Although I will note that the Geronimo Berroa and his Oakland Oaks throwback would've gotten the nod from me on almost any other page.

Call it bad luck, I guess.




I don't know if there is a runaway favorite in this week's page, which should make the voting all the more exciting.

Let's meet the nine newest frankenset hopefuls.



1975 Topps #505 Chris Speier

The action shots in 1975 Topps don't often get the credit they deserve. 



1992 Score #506 Darren Daulton

This play at the plate feels very cramped to me. 



1992 Stadium Club #507 Jay Bell

One of the most expertly-cropped double dips you'll ever find. 



1993 Stadium Club #508 John Valentin

Double dipping with Stadium Club once again, this time from the 1993 edition. 



1988 Fleer #509 Tim Belcher

You need to wait until you get on base to wear that warmup jacket, Mr. Belcher.



1989 Fleer #510 Jerry Reuss

You can't hide it under your jersey either, Jerry.



1994 Topps #511 Devon White

That's the same look I get whenever I find a bunch of PWEs in the mail. 



1995 Collector's Choice #512 Pat Kelly

Turning two with Collector's Choice. 



1992 Upper Deck #513 Mike Morgan

This week's page closes with a pitcher who somehow found his way to second base.

The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

2 comments:

Mark Kaz said...

The Devo card is fun (and I like your caption), but if you've got Jay Bell + Stadium Club + horizontal layout... Well, you've got a winner.

Brian said...

Hard to choose this week - lots of good options. I went with Jerry Reuss because his prematurely white hair made it possible to imagine what it would be like to have your grandfather play major league baseball. Plus an AL pitcher with a bat? Sign me up.