Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cardboard Masterpieces, Pt. 2

2004 Upper Deck #246 Adam Dunn

The local flea market that I've previously raved about re-opened today.

Unfortunately, the usual card vendors weren't there, and I came home empty-handed. Hopefully they'll show up once the weather gets a bit warmer.

Anyways, let's take a look at one of last year's best flea market purchases in the second installment of "Cardboard Masterpieces".

This might be the one that started it all.

The card that began my current obsession with terrific baseball card photography. I'd see this card week after week inside the same dime box at the flea market. And I'd keep passing it up.

After all, I don't collect Adam Dunn.

I mulled it over and decided enough was enough on one fateful Sunday afternoon. I finally bought it.

It was then that I came to a realization. Sure, it's fine to only get cards that specifically meet your player, team, or set needs, as I had been doing before. But even if it's not something you'd normally buy, there should always be a spot in one's collection for a card that is simply...cool. (I even bought a card of probably my least favorite player in the history of the game just for the picture.)

As far as cards go, it doesn't get much cooler than this one.

The most important symbol in baseball's long and rich history has been the American flag. Upper Deck did a fantastic job in reinforcing that fact, perfectly capturing Dunn in mid-air, just in front of it.

Time and time again, I've tried to explain to my football and basketball-loving friends why baseball is and always will be the National Pastime. That's not to say that other sports don't have their merits, but none could ever come close to baseball. No sport means as much to its fans as much as those who enjoy baseball. It is truly a beautiful game.

Just ask Adam Dunn.

3 comments:

Stealing Home said...

right on post. i love cool card phtography myself. does that include squirrel cards????

topher (Crackin Wax/Varsity Trading Cards) said...

Upper Deck putting Photoshop to good use--making Adam Dunn look like he's actually got hops!

Hackenbush said...

Yep!