Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Zero-Year Cards, Part 19

2001 Fleer Platinum #157 Jose Canseco (Angels)

Jose Canseco has already been inducted into the "zero-year club" thanks to an extremely short tenure with the Montreal Expos.

But he'd already been a "zero-year" member of another team before that. He spent a grand total of two months with the Angels in 2001, from January to March of that year.

He'd be cut by Anaheim after the end of spring training.

Thus far, I've tried to avoid repeating teams for my "zero-year club". But I just figured screw it, this card needs to be seen by everyone!

Jose Canseco is the only repeat player I could think of. I'm not sure too many players had cards issued with two different teams that they never played for.

Canseco would catch on with Newark of the Atlantic League after being cut by the Angels. The White Sox purchased Canseco from Newark in June of '01. He'd hit .258 with 16 homers in 76 games for the South Siders. 

They would be the last major league games he'd ever play. (Thank God!)

I can't decide whether I love or hate this card. After all, it is a "zero-year" card. But it's Jose Canseco.

In a way, I guess it's so bad it's good.

4 comments:

William Regenthal said...

I've got a Richard Hidalgo Upper Deck card of him with the Orioles. He never played a game for them. If I can find it, its yours.

Nick said...

If it's the '06 Upper Deck one, I've got it already. But if it's any other one, I'd gladly take it. Thanks!

William Regenthal said...

Its the 2006 Upper Deck. Ok, false alarm. I'll keep looking for other cards like it, though.

Anthony Hughes said...

man, I hated that uniform... do not miss it at all!
I was not paying a lot of attention to baseball in 2000 or 2001, so I guess I missed it - I never knew Canseco signed with the Angels in any capacity! Nice post