Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Gems of Junk Wax, Pt. 21: 1990 Topps #278 Pascual Perez


Wow.

Pascual Perez sported some mean Jheri-curls in his day. (I always thought it was spelled "Jerry curls" until I looked it up.)

What the heck happened with hair in the 1980's? Anyone that invested in hairspray back then must've made a fortune.

A few weeks ago, I looked through some boxes under my bed. All the boxes have stuff from the overproduction era inside, mainly early '90s Topps cards. I thought I might find one or two cards I could use for the GOJW series.

One of the boxes was all 1990 Topps. As I flipped through each card, I realized just how bland the set is. Not a great design, and next to no action shots. I'd say that it was probably Topps' worst offering in its 61-year history.

However, this card made me laugh. I don't know too much about Perez, but I do know that he had quite an interesting personality. He'd dance on the mound and sprint off the field after the end of an inning (a lot like Jose Lima).

I guess his hair matches his personality.

There's some good "hair" cards out there, but this one takes the cake.

I can't think of a better one.

2 comments:

hiflew said...

1990 Topps is not really a good set for photos, but I always liked it just for the colorful nature of the set. I often compare it to 1975 Topps (although I usually get lambasted by the community for that comparison).

I always remember Pascual Perez as usually one of the better pitchers on some horrible Braves teams in the 80s. When I first got interested in baseball the Braves were the absolute bottom of the barrel, much like the Pirates of the past 20 years. People are just used to the Braves being good now because of the pitching of the 90s and the young stars of the past couple of years, but man they sucked for several years before that.

Hackenbush said...

Pascual's hair is legendary.