Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Zero-Year Cards, Part 20

2001 Stadium Club #165 Grady Sizemore (Expos)

Before I start, I'd just like to note a blogging milestone that I achieved today, or should I say a milestone my readers achieved today.

I now have 50 readers following "Dime Boxes"! A huge thanks to all my readers out there, starting this blog was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Now on to Grady Sizemore.

Sizemore has always been one of my favorites. He had some big years from 2005 to '07 in Cleveland. What might seem even more amazing now is that he actually played in all 162 of the Indians' games in both '06 and '07.

Sizemore has been absolutely riddled with injuries the lately, playing in just 104 games over the last two years. It's already been proven that he's got a lot of talent. It's just a matter of staying off the DL now.

Although there were some rumblings of Sizemore becoming a Cub this offseason, I'm glad he's staying in Cleveland. He deserves another shot there.

Although he's spent his entire career as an Indian, he wasn't originally a part of their organization. He was originally drafted by the Expos in 2000.

The Indians pulled off one of the better trades in major league history in June of 2002. They'd send ace Bartolo Colon to Montreal. Colon would only make 17 starts as an Expo, signing with the White Sox that offseason after becoming a free agent. He'd end up winning 20 games in '02 between the Indians and Expos.

In return, Cleveland got Sizemore, second baseman Brandon Phillips, and pitcher Cliff Lee (and Lee Stevens). A three-time All-Star in Sizemore, a three-time Gold Glover in Phillips, and although his career in Cleveland began a bit shakily, they eventually got a Cy Young winner in Cliff Lee.

Now that's a trade.

No comments: