Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Gems of Junk Wax, Pt. 17: 1992 Donruss Triple Play


If I had one word to describe the 1992 Donruss Triple Play set, it would be "zany".

But I mean zany in a good way. This Kent Hrbek card is a perfect example.

I've been thinking about doing a post on this set for a while now. I've seen this Hrbek card many times before, but didn't think I had it. For no particular reason, I started digging through a couple of my card boxes under my bed a few nights ago. To my surprise, the Hrbek card popped out.

I started laughing the minute I saw it.




The design of these cards isn't typical of overproduction era cards. They're flashy, they're colorful, and they "jump" out of the binder when you see them.

They really stand out next to the likes of 1990 Topps or 1991 Fleer.




One of the things I really like about this set are the "themed" base cards. That's a great shot of the Hall of Fame, the #1 place I would like to go to someday.

It's apparent that this set was more geared towards the younger crowd, which is another thing from this set I enjoy. For instance, the last sentence on the back of the "autographs" card reads:

"Remember to be polite when asking [for an autograph] and always say please and thank you."

Manners, manners, manners.




The stadium shots in the '92 Triple Play set are absolutely magnificent. Most sets give you an inside look at the stadium (which is still neat), but these give you a bird's eye view, an angle that most fans have never witnessed.

I've been desperately searching for the Wrigley Field stadium card from this set for a while. It's one of those cards that I always feel like I'm going to find in a random dime box, but never shows up. Another dime box quest.




My personal favorites from this set are the "Awesome Action!" cards.

Some of them are split-screen cards, like the two you see above. In case you're wondering, that's Oakland's Dave Henderson looking like he's about to flip poor Jerry Browne after attempting to break up a double play.




This is my favorite card in the set.

Broken bats always make for great shots on baseball cards. And this one features "The Hawk", Andre Dawson.

You can even see a few teeny-tiny fragments of wood just to the right of Dawson's hands. Now that's a high-quality shot.

Some sets are designed to be "serious". You're not supposed play around with Triple Threads, Topps Marquee, or any other set along those lines. Those types of sets aren't really for the "everyday" collector, and they're not out there for laughs.

1992 Donruss Triple Play is a great reminder that baseball cards are supposed to be fun.

5 comments:

night owl said...

I think I have 2 or 3 of the Wrigley Field card -- it's a night card you know. If I can dig up one of the extras, I'll send it to you.

I often wondered how nice this set would be if the design wasn't so overpowering. I usually like designs with character, but it takes away from the photos in this set.

Nick said...

Your blog was actually where I was introduced to the Wrigley Field card, I've wanted it ever since. If you happen to come across an extra one and would like to send it my way, I'd appreciate it!

I enjoy the design of this set, but I agree, they could've made the actual photo space a bit larger. Cards like the Jim Abbott are cut off a bit because of the squished frame.

'30-Year Old Cardboard said...

A blogger states that his favorite card in the set features Andre Dawson? I am in, brother!!!

moremonkeys138 said...

This set was one of my favorites to collect when I was younger. It had a great appeal to it, that I appreciate all the more now that I'm older. It was fun to collect then but great to look through now.

Jc Magallanes said...

I have this set from card #1 to #264 all in mint condition.