Thursday, May 10, 2018

Mike's Music Pantheon, Series 1 (customs + guest post from Dad!)


A few months ago, my dad came up with the wild idea of getting someone to create a custom set of music-related cards.

My mind, of course, immediately went to none other than our own Custom Aficionado here in the blogosphere,Gavin of "Baseball Card Breakdown" fame. The kind soul that he is, Gavin agreed to undertake the project, and a quick trade was agreed upon -- my dad picked out a few vintage singles for Gavin's set builds at a card show earlier this year in exchange for the music set, which arrived a couple weeks ago.

And so I'll step aside and hand the mic over, because here to tell you about his own music set is none other than...Dad himself!

Hi all...Nick's Dad (aka, Mike) here, getting in on the action with a guest blog.

As Nick has often mentioned, his collecting apple did not fall far from the tree...and though I don't buy baseball cards for myself, I love contributing to, and going over, Nick's stuff...

But this one was my brain child after marveling over Nick's custom-made cards...Mike's Music Pantheon, Series 1...an 18-card set of cool cats and kittens!




After sweating out various "conditions" (too famous? too obscure? too modern?) I just went with "I dig 'em!"...from heroes I experienced in real time...




...to "shoulda been BIG!"





From "uncategorizable"...




...to "yeah, people know about them...but what about America?!"




Most have backs with years active and what I consider their "masterpieces"...but a few go the extra mile with full backs!

I feel a little bad that I've been showing these off on various record-geek groups I'm on...everyone wants to buy them!...sorry, NOT for sale!

And, if we can ever work it out, I have Series 2 all set in my mind...Peter Laughner, Gram Parsons, D. Boon, Lowman Pauling, etc...you're on deck!

I think I speak for both Dad and I when I say Gavin, as usual, did an absolutely stellar job with these customs -- thanks again, Gavin!

13 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

Super cool set. Huge fan of Peter Green. Always really dug NRBQ as well. And Serge Gainsburg is a classic. Well done Gavin and Nicks Dad

Jordan said...

Was not expecting to run into a card of Richey Edwards on this blog, and am quite satisfied with the fact that I have. I agree that not enough Americans know who he is, and that more should.

defgav said...

Glad you like, Mike! Those were fun to do. Especially proud of the Burger King card of Kim Shattuck (where she's wearing a Burger King crown in the photo).. lol. But yeah, some I was familiar with, and others I got to learn about. Looking forward to Series 2!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Wow, Gavin did an amazing job. From Hostess to Kellogg's, Burger King, Goudey and lots of vintage 70's style. Lovin it. You should hook Gavin up with those wanting to buy them.

Chris said...

These are fantastic. Super work again, Gav. I hope we'll see more of these posts. Thanks for sharing, Nick and Mike!

Brett Alan said...

Love, love, love that Alex Chilton. Both the Box Tops and Big Star are huge favorites of mine.

gcrl said...

Westerners! Huge fan of the mats. Grant Hart is great, too. I was able to see him reunited with Bob Mould at a benefit show in MPLS about 13 years ago. It was great. One of the songs they played was "never talking to you again". Westerners played a set that night, too.

gcrl said...

And by westerners i meant Westerberg. Damn auto correct

gcrl said...

Children by the millions scream for Alex Chilton

Fuji said...

1973 Kellogg's has never looked so good! These customs are sweet!

shoeboxlegends said...

Beyond cool! Topps needs to hire Gavin already!

mr haverkamp said...

Love the 77T Terry Adams/NRBQ....gotta get the Spampinato brothers on some type of dual tribute card!

GTT said...

I love that Alex Chilton card! Big Star's first two albums are some of the best ever.