Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Joining the ranks of the unemployed


I quit my job at the airport bookstore last week after nearly three long years there. 

The decision to leave was a long time coming. It was the type of customer-service job where I could feel my sanity slowly slipping away from me with each passing day (as is all retail, I suppose), but doubly so because airport travelers are, let's just say, a special crowd a lot of the time. I'm ecstatic to be out of the place, and I'm looking forward to having a (relatively) firm grip on my sanity once again.

The bad news is that I'm now unemployed, of course. I've saved up enough money during my time at the bookstore to where I should be okay for a while if it takes longer than I'm planning to find another job. And while I'm nervous about not working for the time being, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the do-nothing days I'll finally have to myself in the near future. So that's what's going on with me.

But other than the fact that I'll have to cut back my hobby spending, what does any of this have to do with baseball cards?




Well, one thing I can't complain about as far as the bookstore is concerned is the people I worked with -- for proof, my manager gave me a 2018 Topps blaster as a going-away present.




My manager's a great guy (which I feel lucky about given some of the retail management stories I've heard in the past), a baseball fan, and a former card collector himself -- I probably crossed paths with him at a few card shows during my youth, in fact.




And while I don't have a ton of needs from 2018 Topps left at this point, I was still happy to receive this blaster as a token of appreciation from my manager -- it ended my often frustrating time at the airport on a high note.




But even though most of the blaster consisted of dupes and/or cards I didn't need, I was able to knock out a few insert wants with everything you've seen in this post thus far.

Among the gets were these two '83 legends (though it's a bit jarring to see a different photo of Wade Boggs on the design given how iconic his actual '83 Topps rookie is).




Somehow I even pulled a few base cards I didn't have -- the gremlins must've gotten 'em, because I thought I'd long since polished off my base needs from 2018 Topps.




And hey, I even pulled a photo SP of a dude I collect with Adam Wainwright here, which was far and away the highlight of the blaster for me.

I guess for now all I can say is wish me luck on the job search. I'm nervous about the weeks/months ahead but I don't feel a shred of regret about leaving the airport bookstore. In fact, I'd love another bookstore job -- I got paid to sort and organize! -- just not one where I have to deal with people in transit. But either way I'm hoping to find something soon (the bookstore was good for experience, if nothing else).

In the meantime, I'll be in my room, enjoying my this wonderful farewell present from my boss and spending some long overdue time with my baseball cards.

22 comments:

Once a Cub said...

Nice parting gift!

I worked at bookstores and airport bookstores for years and loved it for what it was. Generally the customers are a little bit more educated and civil than most retail establishments but the airport aspect takes that out of consideration.

Check your local library for positions. You won't get rich but similar duties. Paid to sort and organize! Access to many resources for researching whatever you want during the slow times (cards? the sport itself?). Government-level benefits!

Chris said...

Congrats on having the ability to quit a job that was draining your sanity. I loathe my job and I wish I could quit (if you didn't know, I'm a debt collector, hence the blog title) but I haven't been able to find anything else. Your (former) boss sounds like a good guy, a 'goodbye blaster' was a nice gesture. And you got some great cards like the Waino and 83 inserts.

Pound that pavement, Nick. You'll find something soon. Good luck!

Adam said...

Good luck on your job search Nick. I agree with On e A Cub in that working at the local library might be something to consider. The blaster was certainly a nice parting gift from your boss. That Lindor manu-relic is a pretty nice grab from it too!

night owl said...

I haven't been unemployed since 2 weeks in 1985.

I've had lots of retail jobs in the past. I never quit because of customers, it was always for a better opportunity. I always found the camaraderie with co-workers outweighed cranky customers.

P-town Tom said...

Nice parting gift from your manager. Good luck on finding something up your alley. Too bad you can't get paid to blog or dig through dime boxes, because you're atop the field there.

P-town Tom said...

P.S. - Check this blog entry out: http://oldredsoxcards.blogspot.com/2018/05/topps-is-hiring.html

Jon said...

Enjoy your free time while you can, because I can't imagine a fellow like you will be unemployed very long :)

Jeremya1um said...

Good luck with the job search. I’m currently trying to go back to school in hopes of being able to quit mine. Keep all of the blog readers posted.

TSHenson said...

Best of luck in looking for a new job. I have worked many years in retail and know first hand how hard it can be to do a day to day grind. By the way, I have never had a manager gift with cards when I left a job. I love that Lindor Mr Smile insert!

Mark said...

On to bigger and better things, my friend. Good luck with the hunt and don't get discouraged. All it takes is one "yes." On the plus side, you've already had a cooler boss than anyone I've ever worked for.

Matt Prigge said...

You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that? On a weekday?

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Time for some writing?

shoeboxlegends said...

Good luck with the job search Nick, but like you said enjoy some time and don't rush it. As someone who's been employed full-time without a break any longer than a 2-week stretch of paid vacation for the past 15 years I certainly miss those relaxing days that you have in your near future! :)

Anonymous said...

As someone who's been laid off a few times (the perils of working in IT and - more importantly - not heeding the looming storm clouds), I agree with what others have said. You'll be fine, and don't worry about all the "No's" you'll go through to get to the "Yes"... and hopefully it's the "Yes" you want.

Mike said...


And what do you do for a living,sir?
..Im unemployed

Onward and upward,Nick.it'll work out fine!

Fuji said...

Sounds like you're looking forward to the time off... so I guess I'll go with "congratulations". Your manager is pretty cool to hook you up with the blaster. Enjoy your quality time with your collection. Not gonna lie... I'm looking forward to my 3 weeks off in August, so I can do the same.

BobWalkthePlank said...

My college job was retail oriented as well. You can only get yelled out so many times before you lose your mind. Glad you got out and hope you find a good fit soon. Being a frequent airport traveler I applaud you for sticking around 3 years. Lots of stressed/tired people to deal with.

Kin said...

All of my adult jobs have been in the retail sector. Thankfully, I was able to work my way up into a corporate level job. However, I don't forget how much I hated retail.

I spent 13 months as a store manager in an airport. It just sucks the life from you. I understand. The people are arrogant, rude, snobby and just about every other negative adjective one can come up with.

I also joined the unemployed ranks a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't my choice. It's funny how I thought I'd have a change to blog, organize and other things more and it's really been the opposite. Looking for a job is a full-time job (especially with a fiance and teenager to help support).

Good luck in your job search...I really hope you find something that's more to your liking.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Good luck with job hunting!

defgav said...

All the best with your next opportunity, Nick, whatever it may be!
I'll bet you're glad you no longer have to ask people if they'd like a bag with that! haha

Hackenbush said...

Good luck Nick! My wife worked there before you. She started at 5AM and there was no bus from where we lived so I had to drop her off at the Blue line at 4AM. She saw Senator Durbin quite often and waited on Ryan Theriot once. Did you help anyone of note?

Xavier Higgins said...

You met Theo Epstein at your place of employment, if I remember correctly? I'll echo others library suggestion. While it seems like you left on good terms finding ideal employment can take a substantial amount of time and understanding management isn't a given.