Sunday, May 24, 2015

The dime box frankenset, Page 65: Numbers 577-585


Let's take a look at how last week's frankenset voting turned out.

Win -- 1991 Score #568 Bob Welch (15 votes)

Place -- 1973 Topps #574 Bob Didier (10 votes)

Show -- 1988 Score #571 Jim Walewander (4 votes)

Bob Welch and his horrifying split-finger grip snapped the three-week vintage win streak. He took 15 of the 39 total votes to finish ahead of '73 Topps legend Bob Didier and a slew of other worthy challengers.

This was the toughest frankest decision I've had to make in a while, and I really wanted to throw my hat into the "I've got a bitchin' Camaro" Jim Walewander camp. But, in the end, I ended up siding with the victor.

The utter freakishness of a disembodied hand deserves my vote.




This week's page features a full batch of nine new frankenset hopefuls.

Let's meet them.



 1991 Score #577 Casey Candaele

Mighty Casey has turned the double play.



1991 Upper Deck #578 Mike Morgan

It's hard for pitchers to look menacing with a bat in their hands. 



1990 Upper Deck #579 Bryn Smith

Although it does help if they're actually at the plate. 



2014 Topps #580 Todd Frazier

The beauty of the on-deck circle. 



1992 Topps #581 Stan Javier

Safe or out? 



1988 Fleer #582 Tim Flannery

Let's go surfin' now / Everybody's learning how / Come on and safari with me



1992 Upper Deck #583 Kelly Downs

Another pitcher acting the part of a hitter.



2012 Topps #584 Daric Barton

Slide, Barton, slide! 



2010 Topps #585 Dioner Navarro

My legs hurt just looking at this photo.

That just about does it for this week's frankenset page. The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

3 comments:

JediJeff said...

This week will be close - none really stand out above the rest. I so wanted to vote for Frazier, but those pants are bloused too high, and they are far too baggy. They look like bloomers.

Anonymous said...

I thought about going with Casey Candaele (and the cameo by Mets catcher Barry Lyons), but The Dead Milkmen told me to vote for Tim Flannery....

Gonna find my baby, gonna find her now.
She looks like Patty Smyth...
SURFIN' COWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Surf's up, dude!
Surf's up, dude!

Fuji said...

The fact that I have a Padres and surfer PC should make my vote obvious ;)