Sunday, February 8, 2015

The dime box frankenset, Page 50: Numbers 442-450


We had a close matchup last week.

Win -- 1973 Topps #440 Glenn Beckert (9 votes)

Place -- 1997 Ultra #433 Mariano Duncan (8 votes)

Show -- 2012 Topps #435 Jeff Baker (5 votes)

Mr. Beckert pulled out the narrow win, receiving nine of the 35 total votes to give vintage the victory once again. He escaped a surprisingly strong charge from the bat barreled Mariano Duncan, taking the crown by a single tally.

My seven-week streak of agreeing with the victor finally came to an end. I was one of the five who voted for Jeff Baker. Last week was one of the rare times where all nine cards on the page received at least one tally as well.

That's the mark of a solid batch of nominees.




Maybe I can get a new streak started again this week.

Let's meet our nine newest frankenset contestants.



1993 Leaf #442 Carlos Hernandez

Yer outta there! 



1991 Fleer #443 Scott Bradley

A play at the plate inside the yellow. 



1994 Stadium Club #444 Kevin Stocker

Turning two with Stadium Club. 



1981 Topps #445 Ellis Valentine

The primitive days of the facemask. 



1992 Stadium Club #446 Mike Greenwell

I don't think Mr. Greenwell made that catch.

If only he were a few inches taller. 



1989 Score #447 Joel Skinner

Dave Parker makes a cameo in this play at the plate. 



1991 Classic Best #448 Jeff Borski

Signing for the minor league fanatics. 



1995 Score #449 Roberto Hernandez

The dreaded high five/fist bump mashup. 



1994 Stadium Club #450 Darren Daulton

This week's group closes with our fourth play at the plate of the page, and yet another beauty from Stadium Club.

The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

7 comments:

Adam Kaningher said...

I was with you last week in choosing Baker. Guess it just couldn't stand up to 1973.

Anonymous said...

I was tempted to go with "The Cobra Strikes!" on the 89S Skinner, but I'm not objective when it comes to Darren Daulton. I can't not vote for Dutch and his play at the plate.

Ana Lu said...

Was torn between Bradley and Daulton but Bradley wins!

BobWalkthePlank said...

I'm digging the animated umpire in the Hernandez card!

Brian said...

I very nearly voted for Greenwell, but it looks like his misplaying the ball into a double (or worse). Hernandez and the ump win for me.

Big Tone said...

The only reason I remember that Skinner card Is because of Dave Parker.He was a big dude.Smart of Skinner to go with the back hand tag rather than block the plate.Anyways,thats who I'm going with.

Dan said...

Glenn Beckert's card makes an appearance in my latest blog post. I bought the card because of your nomination. Thanks for that.
keystothebattersbox.blogspot.com