Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The (Second) Dime Box Frankenset, Page 58: Numbers 514-522


Frankenset Page #19 WINNER -- 2004 Upper Deck #166 Kerry Robinson (15 votes)

I try to remain unbiased as I watch the votes accumulate with each passing week, but sometimes I can't help rooting for a specific card to win.

That happened with last week's page -- and as the days rolled on, I was happy to know that I wasn't alone in my appreciation for this Kerry Robinson card, an obscure classic from 2004 Upper Deck that I so badly wanted to add to the Gallery of Frankenset Champions (also exciting because the 2000s are probably the least represented decade in my frankenset). It wasn't even much of a contest: Robinson won going away, taking 15 of the 40 total tallies for the easy and satisfying victory.

The vote total was among the biggest we've seen since I started this second frankenset (thanks to all of you!) and, in my obvious opinion, I think y'all picked the right card to win.




We shift from the low- to the high-numbers with this week's page -- the Random Number Generator spit out #58 this time around, so we'll be looking at the page of the frankenset (#s 514-522) here tonight.

I'll try to keep any bias I might have under wraps, but in the meantime let's meet the nominees.



1993 Upper Deck #514 Chito Martinez

Your weekly dosage of '93 Upper Deck greatness. 



1993 Ultra #515 Luis Rivera

Double dip! 



1993 Score #516 Bip Roberts

Way to go, Bip! 



1996 Collector's Choice #517 Kevin Jarvis

A surprisingly formidable cloud of dust surrounding (pitcher!) Kevin Jarvis. 



1974 Topps #518 Derrel Thomas

Most zoomed-out card ever? 



2010 Topps #519 Alexi Casilla

With form like this, is it any wonder bunting has become a lost art? 



2013 Topps #520 Peter Bourjos

A picturesque play at the plate. 



2009 Topps #521 Dava Eveland

A reminder of the weirdness Topps was once capable of. 



1996 Collector's Choice #522 John Smiley

Eye in the sky.

That's it for this week's page. The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

5 comments:

P-town Tom said...

Tough week. There's some good competition, but I'll with the only where you can't see the player's face.

Mike said...

Jeez,I can't remember the last time i picked a winner.. c'mon Bip!!

Bulldog said...

I'm going with the Casilla card. I do like the Kerry Robinson card from the previous round.

Alex Markle said...

Such a strong batch this week. I gotta go with the John Smiley though. That was my Grandpa's name--that always wins for me.

Fuji said...

I'm all about the zoomed out action shots. The 74T Thomas received my vote.