Monday, July 1, 2013

Gems of Junk Wax Bracketology: The championship


Here we are.

It's the moment you've all been waiting for.

The championship.

Before we get the ball rolling, I'd just like to once again say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to vote in this tournament. What started as a little pet project of mine has turned into a definite success in my eyes.

And it's all thanks to my awesome readers out there.

For the championship, I've decided to extend the three-day voting period a bit. In order to not have the closing polls interfere with the upcoming 4th of July festivities, polls will instead be closing this Friday, July 5th, at 11:59 PM.

Make the most of your extra day to vote!

So, without further ado, it gives me great honor to present our long awaited championship matchup.





#8 -- 1987 Topps #170 Bo Jackson RC

VS.

#12 -- 1991 Topps #760 Benito Santiago

I'll admit, I thought we were going to have an all-'91 Topps matchup here in the final round.

I had a feeling Mr. Santiago would take down the '87 Topps Mitchell, but I thought the famous "play at the plate" '91 Topps Fisk would eke out a victory over "Bo".

As it happens, I was wrong. Instead, we have a tremendous 1987/1991 Topps matchup on our hands, most likely the two best Topps releases from the overproduction era.

Honestly, I'm not sure what else I can say about this pair. I feel like I've said it all before.

Both Jackson and Santiago, however, are certainly deserving of spots in this tournament's championship round.

The ultimate champion, however, well...

That's up to you.

Whoever comes out on top here will be the official "King of Junk Wax".

Well, the final poll of the tournament is now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

No comments: