Saturday, March 10, 2012

"Short Term Stops", #11: Trevor Hoffman

1993 Upper Deck #773 Trevor Hoffman (Marlins)

I'm watching the Marlins-Cardinals game on MLB Network as I'm writing this post.

I can't stop looking at those new Marlins uniforms. I've warmed up to them a little lately, but I still don't think they're all that great.

But are they better than the uniforms the Marlins debuted with in 1993? The neon-green jerseys that Trevor Hoffman wore for a short time in his career?

Hoffman's career was on a wild ride even before he found a home in San Diego as one of the game's greatest closers.

He was drafted by the Reds in the 11th round of the 1989 draft. At the time, Hoffman was a shortstop. However, he was converted to a pitcher in the Reds' system and developed the famous changeup that would baffle hitters for decades following. 

He'd never get a chance to pitch for the Reds, as the Marlins nabbed him from Cincinnati in the 1992 expansion draft. (Hoffman's '92 Bowman and/or Upper Deck Minors Reds cards are next for my "fab four" list. I've been looking for his "zero-year" cards forever.)

Hoffman collected the first two of his 601 career saves for the Marlins in '93, as well as posting a 3.28 ERA in 35 2/3 innings in Florida.

However, the Marlins dealt Hoffman to the Padres in June of that same year in the blockbuster trade that sent Gary Sheffield to Florida.

Sheffield would have some fine years in Florida, but as we all know, Hoffman became the model of consistency as a Padre. His 601 career saves were a record when he retired in 2010 (since broken by Mariano Rivera).

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Marlins do this year. I'm excited to see the first game in their new stadium as well. I can't say I've ever looked forward to watching the Marlins before until this year.

But as far as the uniforms go, I personally still like the 1993 Marlins jerseys better. 

Any uniform that Trevor Hoffman wore is okay in my book.

2 comments:

topher (Crackin Wax/Varsity Trading Cards) said...

My inner graphic designer holds back tears every time I see the new Marlins branding.

These are not tears of joy.

AdamE said...

The 2012 Marlins have got my vote for worse MBL uniform ever. Even worse than the White Sox in shorts and those giant collars.