Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Gems of Junk Wax, Pt. 26: 1992 Topps Stadium Club #387 Ruben Sierra


As far as baseball cards go, this is one of my earliest memories.

When I was a kid, I used to have this little blue binder that had all my "good" cards in it. I collected almost anything and everything from all four sports at the time, so it was tough for a card to earn a spot in that teeny-tiny binder.

I always had a place for this quirky card in that binder. As you might be able to tell from all the chipping along the edges, this card wasn't handled with much care.

But when you're ten years old, that's a good thing.

A decade and tens of thousands of cards later, this one is still prominently featured in my collection today. I still enjoy it every bit as much as I did when I was ten. The photo is just so much different than anything else I've ever come across.

I'm guessing it was taken outside of Sierra's home in Carolina, Puerto Rico, as listed on the back of the card. Stadium Club was one of the first high-end sets ever produced, which was well-deserved judging by some of the great photos in the set. (Like this one.)

Normally, I'm not a huge fan of using shots of guys without their uniforms. However, this one is an exception. I find myself wondering how much Sierra's house cost each time I come across this card. That's assuming that this is indeed his house. Hopefully they didn't just snap the picture in front of some random person's house and run.

I'm sure we all have those precious few cards that take us back to when we were younger. Whether it be Kurt Bevacqua, Herb Washington, or Mark Fidrych, they all own a special place in our respective collections.

To me, this is one of those special pieces of cardboard.

No comments: