Tuesday, September 17, 2019

The (Second) Dime Box Frankenset, Page 69: Numbers 613-621


Frankenset Page #30 WINNER -- 1997 Topps #266 Eric Owens (13 votes)

I can't quite believe it myself, but a card from 1997 Topps, of all sets, actually won a frankenset page.

I say this because '97 Topps is almost universally regarded as one of the biggest clunkers in the Topps catalog -- I'd probably rate it as one of the ten worst Topps designs ever. But proving the "blind squirrel finds a nut" theory right, Eric Owens dominated last week's frankenset page, taking 13 of the 38 total votes for the win. He pretty much led from start to finish, and even defeated competitors from legendary sets like '73 Topps and '93 Upper Deck in the process.

It's a flash of greatness in what is otherwise an overwhelmingly forgettable Topps checklist, and it's a pleasure to welcome it into the Gallery of Frankenset Champions.




We soar into the super high-numbers with this week's page -- the Random Number Generator spit out #69 (nice), so we'll be taking a look at that page of the frankenset (#s 613-621) tonight.

Since I have yet to find a worthy nominee for the #618 slot as of this writing, it's a field of eight this week -- let's meet the hopefuls.



1993 Donruss #613 Pete O'Brien

I've always gotten a distinct Harry Potter vibe from this card.



1991 Topps #614 Luis Salazar

I've said it once, I'll say it till I'm blue in the face: 1991 Topps rules. 



2019 Topps Heritage High Numbers #615 Skye Bolt

I wanna have a name like Skye Bolt when I grow up.



1988 Fleer #616 Sammy Stewart

Goofball.



1989 Topps #617 Mark Parent

Supporting my theory that, on the aggregate, catchers get the best baseball cards. 



1989 Score #619 Kirt Manwaring

Frankenset legend Kirt Manwaring strikes again, seen here tagging out a Reds pitcher (note the jacket) on this excellent play at the plate. 



2013 Topps #620 Hector Santiago

The White Sox haven't lit up the standings in recent years, but they're #1 in the throwback jersey market.



1990 Upper Deck #621 Rick Luecken

Unlike one of our resident bloggers, I don't specifically chase night cards -- but they're fun to slide into the frankenset every now and then.

That's it for this week's page. The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

9 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Several of these cards are in the mix of my binders for 1 reason or another.

Mike said...

If Sammy Stewart doesnt win this week,I'll eat my hat!

Fuji said...

Sammy Stewart got my vote. He reminded me of Jason Lee on My Name Is Earl.

gregory said...

Sammy Stewart for me as well. He could have easily been on the "Major League" team with Wild Thing, Willie Mays Hayes, and Pedro Cerrano.

Bo said...

Going to vote for the card Pete O'Brien himself said was his favorite http://borosny.blogspot.com/2013/01/baseball-card-story-from-pete-obrien.html

sg488 said...

RIP Sammy,you got my vote.

moose.reese said...

You say Harry Potter, I say Spengler (Harold Ramis).
Manwaring almost gets my vote based on how amusing and awkward that slide probably was in real time.
Stewart gets my vote. I love a good thumbs up.

AdamE said...

Ehh, can I vote on the blank?

Actually 1991 Topps McGuire would fit there nicely. That is the only card of him sliding into a base that I know of.

But my ultimate pick for that spot would be 2008 Topps Pat Neshek. He's a collector himself and this card shows him going full submarine.

Bulldog said...

I'm going with Kirk Manwaring. Luis Salazar was a close second.