Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The (Second) Dime Box Frankenset, Page 15: Numbers 127-135


Frankenset Page #69 WINNER -- 1988 Fleer #616 Sammy Stewart (14 votes)

I get the sense that baseball players themselves view posing for pictures as a dull, bothersome process.

I guess that's why it makes me so happy when, apropos of nothing, silly faces make their way onto baseball cards. It makes even more happy when said cards win a frankenset page, as Sammy Stewart did last week without much of a fight, taking 14 of the 33 total votes for the easy victory.

My frankenset binder is mostly a collection of cool action and quirky images, but every once in a while, I hope, it's simply able to make you laugh.




Back to a full (and lower-numbered!) group this week: the Random Number Generator decided on #15, so we'll be taking a look at that page of the frankenset (#s 127-135) here tonight.

Let's meet the nominees.



1999 Upper Deck #127 Jeff Cirillo

Enjoying my coffee. 



1992 Upper Deck Minors #128 Eric Christopherson

In his spare time, Eric Christopherson produces gold albums. 



2012 Topps Opening Day #129 Alex Rios

One card, a hundred smiles.



1982 Fleer #130 Bob Sykes

An otherwise mundane card made magical by the background banners. 



1971 Topps #131 Curt Blefary

Horizontal '71s are the best '71s (and yes, my copy's that far off-center). 



2001 Ultra #132 Matt Stairs

Throwbacks, everywhere throwbacks! 



2017 Topps #133 Jace Peterson

Turning two at Wrigley. 



1996 Topps #134 Chris Gomez

Turning two at Comiskey. 



2017 Stadium Club #135 Jameson Taillon

I will fight anyone who says they don't like Stadium Club.

That's it for this week's page. The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

5 comments:

Mike said...

I must say...those first 2 captions are #1 and #2 all time!!

Matt said...

Matt Stairs, pinch hitter extraordinaire !

Bulldog said...

I'll take Jeff Cirillo.

gregory said...

Man, Curt Blefary REALLY swung and missed on that pitch. I'll go with Eric Christopherson at the mixing board.

Fuji said...

I voted for the Bruce Sutter doppelgänger.