Tuesday, April 2, 2019

The (Second) Dime Box Frankenset, Page 48: Numbers 424-432


Frankenset Page #1 WINNER -- 2018 Stadium Club #9 Zack Godley (13 votes)

Zack Godley went from coming fresh out of packs to a frankenset champion in less than a year.

The pool-diving Diamondback topped last week's page without much of a problem, taking 13 of the 37 total votes for the win (the next closest cards being BBM's Kazuhiro Wada with eight votes and Eduardo Nunez with seven). Though I've heard from a few collectors who don't like the Godley, I can't much argue with the results.

After all, a dude diving into a pool beats the same generic pitching shot we've seen a hundred times before -- I don't own another baseball card quite like it.




We transition from the very first page to a fairly high-numbered one in the frankenset -- as per the Random Number Generator, we'll be voting on Page 48 (#s 424-432) this week.

Let's meet the nominees.



1984 Topps #424 Dann Bilardello

I've never really thought about it until now, but there aren't a lot of cards of catchers blocking balls in the dirt. 



1998 Pacific #425 John Flaherty

John Flaherty tagging out (pitcher!) Roger Bailey on this quirky PATP from Pacific. 



1994 Topps #426 Ed Sprague

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 1994 Topps is horribly underrated. 



1994 Collector's Choice #427 Anthony Young

An interview at Wrigley. 



2003 Topps #428 Ricky Ledee

Double throwback, bro. 



2012 Topps #429 Michael Bourn

Michael Bourn looks about four feet tall here (actually 5'11"). 



1992 Stadium Club #430 Howard Johnson

High-quality stuff from early Stadium Club. 



1991 Score #431 Otis Nixon

I choose not to publish the immature caption I have for this card. 



1994 Stadium Club #432 Wes Chamberlain

Dead Ball Era throwbacks rule.

That's it for this week's page. The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

7 comments:

Mike said...

Interview...in CASSETTE!..for the win!

JediJeff said...

Technically, the Chamberlain is a faux back. I dug a while back and these are not true early era uniforms.

Fuji said...

At first... I just thought the Nixon was a cool action shot. Then I read what you wrote... and chuckled. It earned my vote.

Matt said...

This was a tough one. The action on Bilardello calls to me though...

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

A whole bunch of good ones to choose from.

Bulldog said...

Ricky Ledee. Both those throwbacks are great.

Big League said...

Yeah, he definitely passed gas there.