Friday, June 8, 2012

Zero-Year Cards, Part 34

2012 Topps #393 Manny Ramirez (A's)

This may be the most fascinating card Topps has made this year.

It's also the first "temporary" inductee into the "Zero-Year Club". Ramirez hasn't played in a game with the A's so far this season, yet he already has a card depicting him with the franchise. I'm not so sure he'll ever make it back to the big leagues, which is why I decided to "induct" him now.

But you never know with Manny.

My dad bought me a hanger box of Series 2 last afternoon. My main focus towards the trio of flagship sets has always been the base cards, and hanger boxes are perfect for those.

As much as my dad tried to get me to buy the first hanger box on the rack, I just couldn't do it. It's one of my rules

We decided to go with the second box back. 

It turned out to be a great choice. I didn't want to get all "Series 2 crazy" with post after post about it, as I know people don't often like that with a new set. Plus, my blog is partially built on the "randomness" factor anyways.

I did pull a couple rookies I wanted with Yoenis Cespedes and Norichika Aoki, "The Cubs Killer". I even got lucky and pulled a Clint Barmes gold sparkle, one of my favorite "under the radar" guys.

But the unchallenged highlight of the box was the Manny Ramirez. It was one of the cards I was most looking forward to getting once I saw the checklist. 

From what I've heard, Manny has been struggling at Triple-A with an injured hamstring, and the A's are leaning towards cutting ties with him. If that indeed happens, I have to imagine that it would be the final chapter for his baseball career. I can't imagine another team taking a shot with him at this point.

So yes, I am actually hoping this one turns out to be a "zero-year" card. Besides one from last year, the most recent "inductees" I have are from 2008. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

gcrl said...

i am hoping manny makes an appearance.

have you covered the 1972 topps larry hisle, 1974 topps traded tommie agee or the 1979 o-pee-chee pete broberg in your zero year posts yet?

AdamE said...

I bought tickets early in the year for wjen the As came to town to play the Dbacks just so I could see Manny. I've been watching for news on him hetting called up for weeks but I have finally gave up. Ill have to just waits till he joins the Yuma Scorpians after he gets cut.