Thursday, June 14, 2012

Proud to be a member


The way I view my daily task of blogging has certainly changed over the last few months.

There were certainly a few times in the past where I wrote some posts that probably didn't have my best work. Posts that were a bit forced. Most days, I can knock out two posts, no problem.

The important thing, though, is that I want to write two posts a day.

Again, on most days, I look forward to my two posts each day. They help me relax, and they're always fun to write. I try and come up with ideas for the theme posts the day before. I've been on a roll lately with ideas for my evening posts, so I pick from whatever topics I've written down over the past few days.

Some days though, I just don't feel like writing twice a day. But in the past, I'd do it anyways. I know I'm not the only one, but in the past, I was a little overly concerned with post hits and followers.

It wasn't the right approach.

Lately, I've realized that followers and post views aren't the important part of my blogging experience. It's writing about what I want, when I want. There aren't any "deadlines".

But perhaps most importantly, it's about being a part of a community. The "blogger brethren".

I've only met a few people throughout my life who have shared my love for baseball cards, and almost none within the last five or six years.

Collecting baseball cards isn't a high priority for most twenty year-olds these days, unfortunately.

One of the greatest things about the Internet is that it brings people with similar interests together, even if they live thousands of miles apart from each other. Baseball cards are just one of the thousands of examples of that.

Without the Internet, I might've gone the rest of my life without meeting anyone else who enjoys cardboard, especially someone my age.

I've never met any bloggers face-to-face, but yet I'm still able to see Robert's new Blue Jays "scores" or Napkin Doon's latest Rangers pickups on a periodic basis.

And perhaps best of all, we look out for each other in this "brethren". Heck, some people just give away cards! I was able to add a bunch of new pieces to my collection, thanks to the "Take My Cards" promotion over at "Crackin' Wax".

Where else could I find a free new Casey Kotchman card?




It's one of my favorite things about the blogosphere.

On trading forums, you'll see a lot of "trades gone bad". One trader sends their cards, and gets nothing in return.

I don't think I've seen one yet amongst bloggers. No serious arguments, no "calling someone out", no ripoffs.

If anything, bloggers send extra cards with the ones that were previously agreed upon, because they're just that nice of a bunch. Or even free ones, the "Catfish" being another Archives pickup from "Crackin' Wax", no charge, no begging.

That's all I could ever ask for.




Most of all, the blogosphere is just a fun place to be.

I have the same routine each day. I wake up (at around noon now that I'm on vacation), grab my computer, and immediately check my blogroll to see what new material is waiting for me. Maybe I missed one of those famous two-in-the-morning posts by Night Owl. Or maybe there's a new card show post waiting for me.

If I hadn't started this blog, I'd probably be flipping through the TV channels for the sixth time right about now.

But now, I'm proud to be a member of the blogging community. Not only is it fun, but it's a much more productive use of my time. Wouldn't you say?

I've learned to have fun with this place, rather than worrying about how many "hits" or followers I may have.

Whether I'm writing about a brand-new Topps Archives Hunter Pence that simply makes me smile, a card of someone no one else has heard of, or a super-cool Roberto Clemente vintage card, I should be having fun. And I truly am. I love being a part of it.

The blogosphere is a great place to be.

4 comments:

Robert said...

One of my 7 goals for 2012 was to meet a blogger face to face...still have half the year left. We'll just have to see what happens there.

Bloggers, and those who follow them, are indeed a unique community, and I have only witnessed one post about a trade gone bad. It actually sparked a lot of debate, which was a good thing.

Rosenort said...

Amen brother

CaptKirk42 said...

Excellent post.

Anonymous said...

Good call. I've never had a bad trade story, and I've probably done 75 or 80 since I started blogging.