Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Gems of Junk Wax, Pt. 37: 1987 Topps Traded #22T Ron Cey


As my regular readers probably know, I'm a big fan of cards featuring players in unfamiliar uniforms.

Although I've retired my posts on the subject, they still make up one of the more prominent "themes" in my collection.

Mid-to-late '80s Traded and Update sets are perfect in that realm. In fact, they made up one of the best lots I've ever purchased.

One of the more "obscure" types of those cards I've ever come across is Ron Cey's '87 Topps Traded issue, which instantly makes it one of my favorites. Besides the 2001 Topps Archives reprint of this very card, I'm pretty sure it's the only one to feature Cey during his brief tenure in Oakland.

Before I scooped it from a dime box, I had no idea "The Penguin" had ever played for the A's.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one. The Cubs dealt Cey to the A's before the '87 season, where he'd hit .221 with just four homers in 45 games. He'd be released in July of that year.

I still can't say for certain whether the A's uniform on this card is airbrushed or not. The hat looks a little off to me for some reason. If it is indeed an airbrush job, it's one of the better ones I've ever seen.

My still-growing Ron Cey collection is pretty much a result of the blogosphere. I'd always had a few miscellaneous cards of his lying around, but I never committed to collecting him. But thanks to the writings of Mr. Night Owl, I decided that Cey would make a good fit for one of my many player collections.

Although I'd have to believe that this isn't one of Night Owl's favorite cards of "The Penguin".

I've managed to acquire some great cards of his ever since I started this blog, including his fantastic '79 Topps issue. (I'm still on the hunt for Cey's '74 Topps card.)

But even with all that being said, Cey's final card might well be my favorite one of his. The one that features him in the empty stadiums of Oakland rather than the bright lights of L.A.

I know, I can be a weird type of collector sometimes.

3 comments:

night owl said...

I might have an extra '74 Cey for you. I can't remember, as I've traded a couple away.

And, yeah, liking that A's Cey cards is weird. That thing is a complete after-thought in my collection (not as pointless as the Cubs Cey cards though!)

Hackenbush said...

Hey, when you see that card come up in my blog in a few days I wasn't copying. It's been on my desk a a couple weeks -part of my 87 Traded fav's. That being said, and with apologies to the Night Owl, I think the Penguin looks pretty sharp in the A's Uni. He seems to be a great shape, too.

AdamE said...

I think there is another Cey as an A card. I think I have it too. If so I'll send it to you...