Monday, July 18, 2022

So goes the flea market


The flea market was once a cardboard haven for me, a place I could go week after week to see all my favorite vendors hock all their fantastic cards.

Sadly, I haven't felt as close to the flea market in recent years. The pandemic obviously has a lot to do with that, but even in the before times, the flea market seemed to be becoming more of a rare treat than a consistent pleasure. I don't have the time I once did. I don't have the energy I once did. I work Sundays now, and though I could conceivably get up early enough to squeeze in a couple hours at the flea market before my shift, I have a hard time sacrificing such precious hours of sleep. I've had to live with being an outsider looking into that beloved community of tables and vendors.

But I still find it just as difficult to imagine a time where the flea market is pushed out of my life all together, because when I lucked into having a Sunday off a few weeks ago, my first thought was, of course - hey, I can go to the flea market! 




Though my flea market trips have dwindled into rarities, the cards I find remain stellar, and the fun I have is still unmatched.

One vendor pretty much made my year with the stuff I found from his 50-cent binders last summer. Still, despite telling me a few times he had more supply at home, he never restocked them, and even here almost a year later, I still saw a lot of those same gaps from the cards I'd already picked through many months ago now. (You can't tempt me with the prospect of good cheap cards and not deliver!)

But there were just enough new additions slipped in to rekindle the fun I'd had last year, and anyways I can't complain much because even the "scraps" I'd previously left behind were still pretty darn good. 




Better yet, he marked everything down to 3/$1 for me - the difference between buying a card for 50 cents and 33 cents doesn't seem like much, but it sure made the decision to pull the trigger on these a whole lot easier.




These four Reggies actually completed this five-card insert set for me since, coincidentally, I already had the one that was missing from the guy's 3/$1 binders.




I found a few vendors with cards who obviously weren't collectors, and depending on your luck, this can be either a very good or a very bad thing.

Sometimes it results in people trying to sell a 1990 Topps Roger Clemens for $20, which I indeed saw during this trip. But other times you get a vendor with a whole bunch of random stuff for a quarter each who doesn't quite know what they have. One guy I stumbled upon had a couple binders of early-2000s stuff for 25 cents each, as well as a few small stacks of miscellany.

I'm sure the selections would've seemed ordinary to some people, but my eyes widened when I saw excellent Todd Pratts and minor-league Antonio Alfonsecas I needed!




I also grabbed this box-bottom for a dollar from that vendor even though I only needed the Murphy & Saberhagen - either way the weird joy I got out of cutting these up was easily worth a buck (and if anyone needs the Rose and/or Fernando, please let me know!).




One other new vendor I found was quite obviously a longtime collector, and the first thing I saw at his table was a few dime boxes(!) packed with legends.

Color Conlon inserts for a dime are a godsend (much less a Babe Ruth!), and I don't own nearly as much early Finest as I should.




A few dime-box greats from more incognito '90s releases like Select and Pacific Online.




This guy also had a couple boxes with slightly higher-priced cards that he eagerly informed me were half-off the sticker price.

I always get a kick out of pre-fame stuff of future stars, which made these easy buys for a buck each - the Sandy Alomar Jr. minor league card is especially fantastic.




A couple other dollar finds from that vendor included another majestic Babe Ruth and a numbered Dodger Paul Konerko (which will never look right to me).




Also grabbed a set of these Cubs playing cards from this vendor for $3 - still not sure whether or not I truly consider playing cards as baseball cards, but how often am I gonna find a deck of cards with Jose Cardenal in it?




The last vendor of the afternoon was a familiar face - some of you readers might remember him as the Penny Box Guy.

The good news was that the penny boxes were back (hooray!), bad news was that they were more your standard overproduction-era '88 Donruss fare (sigh). And while I usually don't love chatting with vendors during my digs, this guy's cool & we quizzed each other on baseball trivia as I scoured the penny cards for a few salvageable gems. It was a reminder of why the flea market remains such a joyous place for me.

Didn't find much in terms of quantity, but White Sox stadium giveaways for a penny are a dream - especially a John Kruk Sox card I didn't even know existed!




He also had a separate dime box of HOFers that featured a lot of nifty oddball fare - still have a hard time believing Duracell ever made baseball cards.




From there, I moved on to this vendor's vintage dollar box, which featured a raggedy '56 Gil McDougald I needed for my double dip collection & card #1 from the hallowed '72 Topps checklist.




And finally, it was time for the glass case material, where I plucked this impeccable Pie Traynor Fleer Greats for a raggedy $5 bill - mostly because I don't get the chance to buy very many Pie Traynor cards these days.

So went my day at the flea market. I often wish I could go back to years ago when I'd attend Sunday after Sunday after Sunday. But a part of me realizes that maybe the rarities of my flea market trips make them glitter now more than they ever did before - after all, I don't know how special card shows would be if I went to one every week.

Leave it to me to take such solace in a place with diabetic socks and '80s electronics in every aisle.

10 comments:

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Can't decide if I'm more jealous of the Mark Grace playing card or the penny John Kruk. I would be so pumped to ever encounter a penny box. Great finds!

Mike said...

You're right,it makes it more special when it's a rare treat rather than a regular thing...plus, any time you want to go, get your butt outta bed! Haha!! Hope we get to make another one together this summer!

night owl said...

I'll be checking out my local flea market this week! Never thought I'd see the day one came to my little town and actually had cards (though not in this kind of quantity).

I'd happily take that extra Rose.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

sweet deal on the Konerko DK. I never see the the DK's from 97 or 98 or 99-01 for that matter.

Laurens said...

I feel like it's been 25 years since I've been to a flea market where I was actually looking for cards.

It's tempting to see if there are cards, but maybe there are better local options i.e. maybe card shows and/or a card shop for serious cardboard rummages.

Fuji said...

I'm just getting back into the flea market groove. Three or four years ago, I'd go every weekend... and up to six times a month. These days... I'm lucky if I go to two. I probably would make a stronger effort if there were more dime boxes (or penny boxes) at my flea markets.

P.S. Love the 86T box bottom.

OhioTim said...

Now that I live almost two hours away, I try to make the trek to a flea market that I have gone to for years at least 3 or 4 times a year. This past Saturday was one of those treks. Once again, it was worth the trip. Now that I have started focusing on certain parts of my collection, I was able to enjoy going through the boxes of cards that I came across. On top of going to the flea market, I was able to go to a card shop that had several dime boxes. I hit the mother load there. It was fun and interesting to watch others come in and hit the high end dollar boxes looking for that great card while I was finding cards that will have more sentimental value to me over any card would ever have in the high dollar boxes. If I had more time, I would have done more of dive into those dime boxes, but maybe that will come on my next trip.

Jafronius said...

Nice finds! It seems sleep is still a priority over cards though :)

Shlabotnik Report said...

Nice haul, as usual. I had a tiny bit of panic with you cutting up the 1986 box bottom because completing the set as panels is on my "I've got everything but one, I might as well get that last one" list... but I don't think that's the one I need. Not that I would ask you to ship a panel like that anyway lol

Jon said...

The older I get, the less interested I am in losing sleep to go places. I'm starting to think that that's the main reason that I haven't gone to a show for the last few years, I just don't want to have to get up early to do so.