Friday, June 28, 2019

The year the trading died


I got a package in the mail yesterday. 

This isn't normally a rare occurrence, but, for whatever reason, it's kinda felt like that this year. The package came from Bob, a reader and a recent friend of the blog who's generously decided to shovel large quantities of fantastic cards on me -- and it was the first cardsphere mailer I'd received in over three weeks.

The last thing I want is for this to come off as a whiny Why isn't anyone sending ME cards? kind of thing, because I certainly don't mean it that way -- it's more of an observation that, yes, trading seems to be a shadow of what it once was around here. 




It could well be all in my imagination, but the days of seeing nothing but junk mail and bills in my mailbox seem to be multiplying as of late.

I suppose I'm as guilty as anyone else of scaling back a bit with trading. I'm not sure if it's a conscious decision. I never said to myself I'm gonna trade less this year, but facts are facts: mailing packages isn't cheap (pushing $5 for a basic-sized mailer) and my card funds are a bit lower now than they've been in the past.

The expense of trading is no secret: so in times like these, it helps to not only remember the selfish joy of seeing a bright yellow package waiting for me, but also the thrill I get out of putting a mailer together for someone else, mixing and matching that stack of cardboard you hope hits home.




Bob's been so prolific with his package crafting that I feel bad: the sheer amount and quality of stuff he's sent me woefully outweighs what I've offered in return.

He even did the impossible by actually finding a 1988 Donruss card I needed(?!?!?!?!?!) with that Ken Williams, a broken bat card I've either never seen or never noticed -- probably the latter since, like all other collectors, I have about 8,452 singles from '88 Donruss strewn around my house.




Part of the reason I'm so excited for the card show I'm planning on attending next week is that it'll (hopefully) give me a chance to knock out some of the reams of 2019 singles I still need.

In the past, I'd make quite a few trades for whatever I needed from the newest stuff (and find a good home for my extras from said sets) -- not so much anymore. My 2019 want lists remain bloated and in need of some quality dime box time.

Big League is gonna be a prime suspect at the show (there's a whole lot of excellent base cards I still woefully need), but Bob supplied a couple inserts for the cause here including a rare dual mini-collection hit with that Yelich.




Ironically, the cards I'm showing in this post about the demise of trading came from about a half-dozen different packages I've received from Bob over the past couple months.

I mainly cataloged my mini-collections for my own reference, but I'm pretty sure Bob checks my lists too because almost all the themed cardboard he sent was gloriously new -- for that, I'm eternally grateful.




But Bob's not all about the mini-collection stuff: here's a fine smattering of randoms, all fantastic in their own individual way.

Mini-collection hits are always welcome, but it's this kind of odd hodgepodge that really makes me miss the glory days of trading.




Obscure oddballs, hooray!




Ted Williams cards (especially the inserts) are always sure to win my heart, as is anything for my nascent Eloy Jimenez collection.




One of the packages Bob sent contained an absolute obliteration of 2017-18 Topps insert needs -- a welcome sight because I get a weird thrill out of seeing my want lists shrink with the deletion of each passing number.




More mini-collection hits, including another piece from Kirt Manwaring's infinite catalog of plays at the plate.




Mini-collections, horizontal edition.




Unthemed, but still excellent: I'm not sure how I'd never seen the Seanez before, one of the few cards I know of that features visible fowl in the background.




Here's another famous card I'm not sure how I didn't already have: note the rookie-year Ryne Sandberg cameo.




In a weird twist of fate, that Miguel Batista -- the silver parallel of a card that'd been on my Dime Box Dozen list for almost a year -- arrived from Bob the same day I got the base version of it from Tom.

Also, I've never heard of Micah Bowie (a Cub for all of 11 games in 1999), but that's one of the better Wrigley Field cards I've seen.




Two more Dime Box Dozens from Bob, both of which were of the annoying "Have Parallel, Need Base Card" variety.




Let's keep the mini-collection train going.




And going.




And going!




AND GOING!




Another insert-themed assault -- that Koufax is particularly nice because unlike his '55 rookie, it's not one you see reprinted to death.




And finally, to close this long post about how no one trades anymore, comes a Dime Box Dozen card I didn't actually think anyone was gonna send me, because Pacific singles fell off the face of the earth at some point in my childhood.

But lo and behold, along comes Bob with this coveted Harold Baines, only the second card I've seen of the new HOFer during his blink-and-you'll-miss-it 28 games a Cleveland Indian and one I didn't even know about until very recently. At its pinnacle, trading makes the impossible seem possible. I don't know if there's any better way to illustrate that than the fact that people like Bob are around to send me obscure Pacific singles of obscure, forgotten stints, out of the blue, just like that, in the magic that is mail. I miss that feeling.

So...anyone wanna trade?

13 comments:

Dennis said...

I'll trade with you, Nick. I've at least got some players you collect, if not stuff from your mini collections, and I don't care if you don't send anything back my way. Please shoot me your address to caljr3000 @ gmail and I'll get an envelope out to you soonish. --Dennis (Too Many Verlanders)

Chris said...

Very cool stuff, so many cards here that I've never seen before. It's great to see someone reading the blogs and sending cards that fit your collection; I've definitely noticed the decrease in cards changing hands and figured the postal rates were a factor. I can count on one hand the number of packages I've received from bloggers this spring/summer.

Adam said...

I'm with you on this...Trading has definitely slowed down as like you, I've seen very few packages or PWEs this year. However, I'm always up for a trade...so, if you want to trade, hit me up! I do have some Big League extras for you anyway.

Zippy Zappy said...

I've noticed the drop in trades and I'm guilty of it too. As you noted, shipping is expensive and I've selfishly been avoiding sending out small packages in favor of building them up to big things. Also, I guess I don't have much to offer people anymore. I don't open packs like I used to, I don't go to shows as often as I used to, I don't even buy singles like I used to since my LCS closed. Though every now and then I do engage in small PWE exchanges.

defgav said...

Yeah, I used to have to do weekly "trade roundup" posts with the 3 or 4 mailings I received in the the prior week.. seems like that hasn't happened this year. Now it's more like 1 every other week or two. Looks like if one wants to keep the online trading going, you gotta turn to TCDB and agree to a somewhat layed out trade, meaning the days of the "blind trades" are winding down.

Fuji said...

Lol. I owe so many people out there care packages, that it's necessarily a bad thing to see less care packages in my mail box. I don't mean this in a bad way... I just mean that the days of me sending out bulk care packages a way, way, way in the past. I'm too busy keeping track of the people I owe. When I'm finally finished with summer school, I'll be dedicating at least a week to buying, putting together, and shipping out care packages.

Nachos Grande said...

Yep, trading has slowed to a crawl (standstill?) for me as well. I'm hoping the release of Allen & Ginter jump starts things for me again.

Mike said...

Sometimes its good to slow down a little for a bit...i know from my tape/cdr trading days!

P-town Tom said...

Trading has slowed for me as well. Like ZZ, I don't buy packs like I used to and it's difficult for me to get to a card show. As a result my supplies for trade fodder have been really low. And honestly, I'm okay with the not sending out packages weekly like I once did.
I still send out a random mailers and PWEs to those who I know appreciate the effort, but I'm backing off intentionally for a number of reasons I won't go into here.
By the way, that Lou Collier card is swwwweeeeeet! Fielder, base runner, coach and a little bit of umpire... tells a whole story!

gregory said...

I'd be up for a trade. Are you on Trading Card Database, by any chance?

gcrl said...

I've got a stack building for you.

Adam Kaningher said...

Kind of a sad story with Micah Bowie. He's had some health problems over the past few years and is not doing great.

iognan said...

Giao dịch đã chậm lại đối với tôi là tốt. Giống như ZZ, tôi không mua các gói như tôi đã từng sử dụng và thật khó để tôi có được một buổi trình diễn thẻ. Kết quả là nguồn cung của tôi cho thức ăn gia súc thương mại đã rất thấp. Và thành thật mà nói, tôi ổn với việc không gửi các gói hàng tuần như tôi đã từng làm.