Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Paying royalties


Every once in a while, I like to give this blog a musical kick.

I haven't done it in a while.

Since I don't have the energy to create a big, in-depth post about cardboard, I figured now would be a perfect time to do so.

Because it's a "rip-off" of another blogger's idea, I hope I won't have to pay any royalties.

A while back, Mr. Night Owl presented his collecting "theme song". A tune titled "I Gotcha" is a perfect fit for any collector.

Ever since I read that post, I've given a bit of thought as to what my personal collecting "theme song" would be.

I can't even remember why I collect some of the things I do. My modest 11-card collection of journeyman Elmer Valo is a prime example of that.

Although I'm not sure why, I just can't pass anything of his up.

For that reason, maybe The Who's "I Can't Explain" would make for a nice overall theme.




When I started writing this post, I thought I'd already decided on the runaway favorite.

"In My Room" by the Beach Boys.

After all, that's where literally everything I own is stored. Cards, programs, scorecards, pictures, all of it.

Some of it is neatly organized, some scattered. This awesome poster-like Bob Gibson piece is sitting on my dresser. I'm still deciding on what to do with it.

Organized or not, it's all in my room.




While taking a quick look at the hundreds of songs on my MP3 player, one caught my eye.

One that I hadn't considered before tonight.

I've certainly mentioned it enough times on here, but I'll say it again.

I'm a "binder guy". Almost every "keeper" card I own makes its home inside one of my trusty-nine pocket pages. Everything from my Angels cards to my White Sox cards to my Pilots cards.

They're all in there.

Because of the prominent role binders play in my collection, I'm surprised The Kinks' "Picture Book" never crossed my mind.

After all, that's basically what card-filled binders are.

Picture books.

Ones that certainly hold a lot of meaning to me and all the other "binder guys" out there. A way to reflect on the past, both on our own collections and the game of baseball as a whole.

It's the perfect theme song for me.

2 comments:

Reds Card Collector said...

I'm leaning more towards Ringo Starr's Photograph since that's why I collect...to view the pretty pictures :)

CaptKirk42 said...

Interesting concept. Night Owl comes up with another point to ponder.

I'm not sure what my collecting theme song would be, but I do know that my tradelist song would be "Come And Get It" by Badfinger.