Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Dime Box Heroes: Pennsylvania Avenue

2009 Tristar Obak #99 William H. Taft

In general, I've accomplished most of what I wanted to do with this blog.

I've mentioned everything from my love for dime boxes (if this theme is any indication), the vast and virtually non-existent boundaries of my collection, and pretty much everything else in between.

However, now that I think of it, there is one slight gap I've noticed.

So far, I haven't given much love to my non-sports collection.

Although it was the basis for one of my first posts, I haven't given them a ton of limelight in the recent history of this blog.

Unfortunately, most of them just don't fit within the scope of most of my baseball-related topics.

Up until a few weeks ago, I never considered being a blogger with multiple blogs. With school and everything, I just don't think I'd have the time or effort to do that.

Recently, however, I've toyed around with the idea of starting another "spin-off" blog devoted to my fairly populous non-sports collection. Everything from American Pie to A&G "oddballs" to American Heritage.

While I'm not sure if that will ever come to fruition, I'll definitely keep it on the table. 

It wouldn't hurt to consider, at least.

However, today's elections are a great chance to showcase a few of my personal favorite "presidential" cards.

Specifically, ones of the dime box variety.

While I'll admit that I'm not big into politics these days, I've always had a profound interest in the history behind the past residents of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, also known as the White House. 

It's only natural that they'd be a prime focus of my non-sports collection.

Trouble is, items of the non-sports variety are a tough draw, especially when it comes to dime boxes. If I'm lucky, I'll come home with two or three new ones from a card show.

Still, any I can find are a "bonus" for me.

Ones that actually involve the great game of baseball are just icing on the cake.

As many historians and baseball fans know, William H. Taft was the first U.S. President to throw a ceremonial first pitch at a ballgame, doing so before the Washington Senators' Opening Day contest on April 14, 1910.

While it's not all that aesthetically pleasing, this Tristar card captures that defining moment of history. 

It'll always be a favorite of mine for that reason.




Although I've long searched for more of these "Presidential Pastime" inserts, this is the only one I've found.

According to the back of this card, John Adams (Quincy Adams' father) played "bat and ball" games as a child. 

That being said, was John Quincy Adams the ugliest president our country has ever seen?

You could certainly say so.




In my junior year AP History class, our teacher asked us to complete a "bracket" to determine the greatest president in U.S. history.

With a few exceptions, half the class sided with FDR. Abraham Lincoln "won" the other half.

I chose Lincoln. 

Exactly why I made that choice is probably best left for another post, but I'll just say that he is indeed my nominee for the best president this country ever seen.

He's been included in a few different sets over the years, but this 2009 Goodwin Champions issue is easily the greatest one I own.

Fittingly, Lincoln was one of the first high-profile supporters of baseball.

In fact, Lincoln was involved in an emotion game of baseball when he won the Republican nomination for president in 1860.


"Tell the gentleman they will have to wait a few minutes until I get my next turn at-bat."

How could he not be my favorite president?

1 comment:

Postcards Never Sent said...

Nice Taft! There is no such thing as the wrong time to post a card of William Howard Taft!