Friday, April 20, 2012

The hundred club


I'm not sure what it is with the number 100 today.

Earlier this afternoon, I added the hundredth blog to my blogroll on the sidebar. While I'm sure there are a ton of others out there that I haven't discovered yet, the fact that I've read posts from a hundred different blogs is amazing to me.

As I've said before, I first entered the blogging community when I discovered Night Owl's ever-popular blog, thanks to a quick Google search one lazy summer afternoon. I don't think I ever commented on his blog back when I was just a reader, but it was my first introduction into the blogosphere.

By the time I started this blog, I'd found a few others in addition to Night Owl's, but I wasn't reading a whole lot of different blogs. (Have I said the word "blog" enough yet so far?)

The biggest factor that led to me discovering so many great, new blogs was the famous blogroll. Without it, there's a good chance that I would've missed a ton of great things going on in the blogging community.

I just added another blog to the sidebar, so that makes 101. I'm already on the way to the next hundred, I guess.

Anyways, the number 100 got me thinking about a new mini-project I may take on.

Over the years, I've partaken in a few things of this sort. Boredom can usually play a factor in that. One day, I had nothing to do and decided to type up all my inserts and parallels onto a document on my computer. (I didn't have many newer cards yet, so it didn't take all that long.)

Oddly enough, I still keep up with that today, although that document is over 500 pages long as of a few days ago.

I've been itching for a new project for a while, just to have something to do in my spare time (besides the blog, of course). While I may love organizing, I will never re-organize my cards. I've had the same filing "system" ever since I started collecting baseball cards again about seven years ago. It would throw everything off.

The new "project" I thought of is something all of us could do, and perhaps a few have done already.

With the number 100 already in my mind, I wondered how many different players I owned a hundred or more cards of.

As I've mentioned before, a lot of the guys I collect are pretty obscure. I doubt a lot of them even had close to a hundred cards made of them. The fact that I've even found 22 different cards of a guy like Tanyon Sturtze is pretty remarkable. For them, the amount of cards might not fully represent how much I enjoy my collections of theirs.

However, bigger stars, such as Babe Ruth, are members of my personal "hundred club". I own 120 different cards of "The Great Bambino", including my personal favorite card of his at the top of the post. (Not "The Great...Bambi", that wimpy deer.)

I've found that 51 of those have come from the last five years (2008-present). So...maybe having a hundred cards of someone like Ruth, Jackie Robinson, or Mickey Mantle might not be that huge of an accomplishment. They're literally in every set nowadays, it seems, although a hundred cards is still a lot.

In this case, I guess the more obscure the player, the better. I'll have to see if someone like Morgan Ensberg is in my "100 Club".

Now that would be an accomplishment.

No comments: