Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Gems of Junk Wax, Pt. 29: 1994 Pinnacle #379 Mark McLemore


It can be difficult to pinpoint exactly when the "overproduction" era began and ended.

Some place the beginnings as far back as 1985 or '86. Personally, the cards I use for these posts span from 1987 to 1994, my personal estimate on the exact dates of the "junk wax" era.

Overproduction era or not, I think most of us can agree that this is one great card. The fact that Pinnacle granted such a great card to a fairly marginal player in McLemore was awful nice of them.

I've come to appreciate the Pinnacle brand more and more in the last few months, thanks mainly to one particular dime box I dug through at last month's show. (As I showed in the final portion of this post.) 

However, I still don't know too much about the brand. I'm not sure whether it was considered "high-end" at the time, or how it started. One reason for that is because they weren't around for too long, lasting from just 1992 to '98. 

One consistent thing I've noticed with Pinnacle is the great photography. Pinnacle certainly knew how to capture the perfect action shot, and this one is probably the best example of that.

I have to admit I completely forgot about this card when I did an entire post about these types of cards. It's getting the recognition it deserves now, though. 

It's amazing just how perfect this particular photo is. The great scoreboard shot in the background just tops it off.

Baseball photography doesn't get much better than this.

No comments: