Monday, August 25, 2014

New semester, new mini-collection


By the time you read this, I'll be getting home from my first day of the new school semester.

I was lucky enough to get a pretty favorable schedule, in large part because I picked my classes early. (Something I would definitely recommend to any prospective/current college students.)

I only have one class on Mondays and Wednesdays, but it runs from about four to five-thirty in the evening. With the forty-five minute commute to and from my school, that eats up almost all of the time I usually allot to blogging each day.

As a result, you might see my writing get more sporadic on Mondays and Wednesdays for the next few months. Maybe I'll focus on composing shorter posts for those days in the future, which might actually be beneficial since I know some people like the more bite-sized write-ups.

Anyways, I figured the dawn of a new school semester was as good a time as any to unveil a new mini-collection theme I've been pondering during the past few weeks.

Let's see how long it takes you to guess what it is.















Yes, my friends, I am proud to announce my new and not-so-originally titled "tip of the cap" mini-collection.

The name should speak for itself, but I'm basically chasing any cards that feature players tipping their caps to the crowd.

This theme made sense for a lot of reasons. I doubt I'll ever run into a shortage of them, for one thing. I probably have at least a couple dozen more in my binders apart from the ones I just showed.

Another plus is that although all the shots feature the same "tip of the cap" action, the reasons behind them are vastly different.

Some commemorate historic milestones (Ripken, Yaz). Some might just feature a guy who had a good afternoon (Giambi). Some feature big names greeting the fans at the Midsummer Classic (Butler). Some double as awesome "sunset" cards (Reggie, Ozzie).

And some feature players who you forgot were ever good enough to deserve a tip of the cap in the first place. (Chone Figgins? Jeremy Bonderman?)

So, there you go. I'm sure this will be a fun little quest, and anyone who is gracious enough to keep an eye out for these things in the future will certainly get a big tip of the cap from yours truly.

It'll give me another reason to smile while I'm hitting the books this semester.

6 comments:

The Junior Junkie said...

I love this

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

lol, I had done them for a bit, but gave up. maybe i can dig some out for you.

JediJeff said...

Go into basketball, do a Mutumbo "Wag of the finger" card and you would have the Colbert collection.

BobWalkthePlank said...

Awesome! I'll keep my eye out for you.

Kevin Papoy said...

That's my kind of mini collection ! great idea

Adam Kaningher said...

Hmmm, I may have a couple for you.