Thursday, August 28, 2014

Figures


I have to admit, I'm pretty much a one-track collector.

My collecting genes revolve around baseball cards and pretty much only baseball cards. I don't chase magazines, memorabilia, autographs, ticket stubs, or anything along those lines.

And I've especially steered clear of figures of any kind. I know lots of other collectors love things along those lines, but I myself have almost never dabbled in it. I have a few reasons for this.

a) They can take up a lot of space. I don't have the real estate for binders and figures.

b) They can get kind of pricey, at least from what I've seen.

c) I understand why other people enjoy them, but they wouldn't serve a real purpose with the way I collect.

d) Did I mention the space thing?

Granted, it's almost impossible to completely avoid figures, bobbleheads, etc. if you're a baseball collector. I do have a couple in my room.

My mom saw this Derrick Turnbow bobblehead (Derrick Turnbow had a bobblehead?) at a garage sale years ago for a buck and thought I might get a kick out of it. Even I'll admit that it is pretty neat, especially the fake little strands of scraggly hair the Brewers added.

Got to keep it authentic, you know.




I had the bright idea of buying my mom a Mark Grace Starting Lineup figure for Christmas one year.

I'm proud to say that she loved it and still has it on display in her room. I think I've mentioned it before, but Gracie was (and still is) her favorite player.

For whatever reason, the guy I bought it from decided to throw in a Dean Palmer SLU as a bonus. I'm sure Dean Palmer is a fine man, but I don't really care one way or another about having this thing in my house.

The best thing I can say about Starting Lineups is that the cards they come with are cool. They're hard to find, but I have a few of them in my binders as we speak.

That's really about it as far as figures go. Like I said, I don't usually dabble in the area, and I certainly never thought one would have any real impact on my collection.

And then, on an ordinary summer afternoon a couple weeks ago, I found a big box on my doorstep from my buddy William of "Foul Bunt". It was way lighter than expected be when I picked it up. I had absolutely no idea what could be in it.

Only one way to find out, right?




My eyes lit up when I lifted it out of the package.

Isn't it beautiful?

That, my friends, is a Hoyt Wilhelm Starting Lineup figure. I would've gone the rest of my life without knowing it existed if William hadn't come along. Hoyt never struck me as well-known enough to receive such an honor.

I actually had the card already (part of a Christmas gift from Dad a few years back), but I had no clue what set it came from before this SLU came into my life.

William has been the single biggest contributor to my Hoyt collection, so I guess it figures that he'd be the one to find something like this. Still, I think this might well be his best treasure yet.

For the first time since, well, ever, it's safe to say that a figure has cemented itself as a centerpiece of my collection.

I never thought I'd see the day.

5 comments:

Mike said...

That IS really cool....and I've managed to go 48 years and there's only 3 at my place....the Sheldon one you bought for Mimi & I,The Old Man (from Pawn Stars),and Sigmund Freud....

William Regenthal said...

Glad you liked it. I saw it at a thrift store along with a Jimmie Foxx and Brooks Robinson. Guess I was lucky that day.

Mark Hoyle said...

Very cool Hoyt

Reds Card Collector said...

That's a nice Starting Lineup Hoyt you have. I'm trying very hard to resist the temptation of chasing the McFarlane Reds figures.

Unknown said...

Thanks to you! Finally I got some stuff in your blog post related. I was searching for some material related to matter included in post. Very useful and very informative. Thanks once again and do share some more posts if you have!
full dye softball jerseys