Monday, September 9, 2013

The starter kit, Pt. 2


In Part 1 of this post, I wondered what would happen if I were to somehow lose my current collection.

After thinking about it, I guess I probably would try and hit the reset button. Although I seriously doubt I'd be as into the hobby as I am now.

The only reason I'm even thinking about something like that is thanks to a recent trade package sent by reader Adam, one that would've served as a nice "starter kit" to an aspiring collector.

As I mentioned in Part 1, Adam went and filled an 800-count box to the brim with hand-picked cards based on my interests. The final result may well have been the most fun I've had in opening a trade package.

While I doubt Adam knew it at the time, I've actually been on the hunt for this '93 Topps Bobby Bonilla for a while now. Complete with an awesome nighttime backdrop of the New York skyline, it's one memorable piece of cardboard.

Bonilla's tenure with the Mets, though, was pretty much the exact opposite.




For a short while, those "water vapor" shots gained a bit of steam in the hobby.

I own about four or five different ones, a list that now includes Mr. Surhoff. Sure, they might be a bit gimmicky and cheesy. But that doesn't mean they can't be cool.

Not only does Orel Hershiser wear killer shades and cozy sweaters, but the man can juggle, too.

Easy, ladies.




I can't say I've ever seen something like this on a baseball card before.

Complete with a Todd Zeile cameo, "The Crime Dog" is actually stretching to the extreme foul side of first to nab this errant throw. From the looks of it, I'd say he kept his foot on the bag.

Oh, and this one has a little '90s cell phone action going for it on the back as well.




I don't like 1997 Topps.

It may well be my least favorite set in the Topps catalog. I want to like it, but nothing about '97 Topps works for me.

Still, even the worst of sets have a gem or two. I can honestly say that this magnificent Bobby Higginson "play at the plate" is my new favorite card from 1997 Topps.

And it's not all that close.




These are two of the better "double dip" cards you'll ever find.

One features a guy doing a Superman impression, while the other shows a pitcher trying to break up the double play.

So, which one do I like better?

I have no idea.




A couple neat player collection adds here.

How I didn't already own that Olerud is beyond me.




Oddballs!

One of these days, I'm going to have to go through and find out just how many different companies produced oddball cards.

Woolworth? Seriously?

Never in a million years would I have guessed they made baseball cards.




Thankfully, Adam included a healthy amount of 1993 and '95 Fleer in his generous gift.

Both are sets that I like quite a bit. Trouble is, nobody else does.

Or at least it seems that way to me.




On the other hand, I think most of us can agree that 1993 Leaf is awesome.

It's one of the more universally liked sets in existence. Best of all, Adam included about a good 40 or 50 of these in this trade package.

I was in paradise.




Another pleasant surprise from the 800-count box was the inclusion of a couple unopened 1993 Stadium Club packs.

Reminiscent of a recent Listia win, I tore into these things with a ton of enthusiasm.




Although the two packs resulted in quite a few neat cards, these were my personal favorites.

Then again, I'm partial to anything of Pedro Martinez as a Dodger.




The majority of Adam's trade package consisted of 1990's cardboard.

Still, he couldn't help but slip a few '80s goodies into the fun. And, hey, I now own Rickey Henderson's first four Topps cards from his 1980 rookie to that '83.

Certainly not a goal I ever set out to achieve, but one I'm happy with nonetheless.




Overall, I think Gary Carter probably had the best farewell cardboard of any player in history.

As far as I know, he's the only guy to have multiple play at the plate "sunsets". And he had three. 

That action-packed Score Select piece (featuring another aging catcher with Mike Scioscia) takes its place next to Carter's 1993 Topps and Upper Deck PATPs.

Before that Smoltzie came along (complete with the nostalgic UPN logo), I don't think I'd ever seen another card of a pitcher lounging around in the on-deck circle.

Which is funny, because...




...this trade package alone included two of those.

In fact, Mr. Abbott here was my single favorite card from an absolutely amazing assortment of cardboard.

Seeing as how Abbott played in the American League for most of his career, opportunities to snap a shot of him with a bat were few and far between. (Keep in mind that this was before interleague play, too.)

In what is almost certainly a spring training shot, SP shows Abbott in the on-deck circle, ready to take an at-bat. His stump is also clearly visible here, something that understandably is fairly rare with his cards.

And, to top it all off, we have a Yankee coach peering into a camera in the backdrop. Maybe he just wanted to get a better look at the babe in row seventeen.

I can honestly say that this was one of the better trade packages I've ever received as a blogger. From pages to binders to a gigantic box of cards, Adam did it all.

Everything I've shown in these past two posts made for new additions to my collection, one that I've been building for the past, oh, twelve years or so.

Hopefully, it's something that will never go away.

I'm already looking forward to the next twelve years of collecting.

4 comments:

petethan said...

Wait... what? Did you just say you LIKE '95 Fleer? Uh... why?

Jerry Yeager said...

Quite a nice haul, your were given a treat and I must say a very nice one. I lost my early 90's collection as a result of just giving it away out of frustration with having started it then with the disappearance of all shops in my area and no way at the time of progressing. At that time I was no ready to buy cards on the internet. 10 Years later I Started my current collection.

Adam Kaningher said...

Awesome! I'm pretty sure I put that Abbott in there because of the camera; I'm glad you found so much to like about it!

My LCS where I got those Stadium Club packs is moving locations soon, so I should be able to get some clearance specials from him this month. We'll see what other goodies turn up.

The Junior Junkie said...

petethan - '95 Fleer is all the rage, bro. That Chipper is awesome.

And Jim Abbot with a bat - that's a gem....