Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Making adjustments


Sadly, I only have time for a quick post today.

That's because school and a new job have been occupying most of my free time. The last two weeks have basically been a blur of going to class and work.

Of course, my free time for blogging now is only a fraction of what it once was. After nearly two years of posting at least once or twice a day, cracking five posts in a week has been a challenge lately.

I know, you've probably heard the "no time to blog" speech from others before. I just want to let my readers know that my desire to blog isn't diminishing, by any means. My time, however, is.

That also means that I haven't been able to keep up with actual baseball much lately. I think I've watched my beloved Cubbies exactly once over the last week. It's a bit painful. (Yes, I know, I'm probably not missing much.)

Lately, most of my baseball intake has been checking the box score app on my smartphone on the train home from work. Before, I used to be able to plop down on the couch and watch a game whenever I wanted.

I guess I kind of took that for granted.




I haven't exactly had a ton of time for the hobby lately, either.

Again, like my blogging, my desire to collect is burning more than ever. Again, though, it's just a lack of time.

Between flea markets, trades, and other outlets, I've picked up about a thousand new cards for my collection over the past three weeks.

And nearly every single one of them is sitting in the living room right now, waiting to be filed away. Including this terrific "throwback" shot of Kris Benson.

I've proudly used what little free time I've had over the past few weeks to buy new cards.

I just wish I had a little more free time to sort them all.




Thanks to those pesky time constraints, I haven't mailed out a single package in at least a couple weeks.

I know I've been a bad blogger. Trouble is, my work/school schedule makes it almost impossible for me to get to the Post Office.

Either way, though, I still owe quite a few people some cards. I have a few things pulled for people like Mark and his Albert Belle collection, but I just haven't had the time to motor on down to the ol' PO.

Still, I'll figure something out.

I feel extremely guilty about not having mailed a package in so long.




To end on a somewhat detached note, here's a shot of yours truly digging through some dime boxes at the National.

I'm not sure what took me so long to post it.

If I look a bit drowsy, that's because I was finishing up a nearly 45-minute dime box dig when my dad snapped this photo. That quest resulted in about 300 new cards for my collection, I might add.

Digs like those are what make me so darn proud to be a part of this hobby.

In the end, I guess part of growing up is being able to make adjustments. Doing things you need to do gets in the way of doing what you want to do.

Still, while I haven't had much time for collecting, blogging, or just baseball in general lately, my love for all of it is still there.

As it always will be.

5 comments:

Zayden said...

I definitely hear ya on the time constraints. I always feel like blogging way more than I actually do but of course life happens. Glad to see things are going well Nick!

BaseSetCalling said...

National League shoulder patch on National photo shoot. You still got it.

petethan said...

I feel ya. Good thing this life thing generally lasts a while. Do your thing. You write, we'll read, two posts a day or two posts a week, it's all good.

In other news, waiting too long for a simple PWE, so expect something a little bulkier this month...

petethan said...

P.S. If you guessed from the typos that I went out with my work buddies tonight to watch the Dodgers (in a rare loss) at a dive bar, you're right!

I had a designated driver (thanks to my Q.T. wife), but there's no rules against drunk commenting, right?

Ana Lu said...

Nice photo. You deserve the spotlight ;)