Sunday, July 28, 2013

The dime box frankenset, Page 6: Numbers 46-54


I suffer from a fair amount of cardboard OCD.

I'll admit, I'm quite meticulous about how I store my cards. If any one thing is out of whack, it drives me absolutely nuts.

That's part of why I've kept the same organizational system with my team binders all these years. It does work and I'm quite satisfied with it, but, on the same level, I'd never be able to bring myself to change my tactics after years of doing it that way.

In a way, I guess this frankenset thing has helped me overcome my affliction a bit. Since I still have a large number of slots that need to be filled, quite a few gaps are found in my frankenset pages. That's something that would never fly with any of my other binders.

Still, I'd be lying if I said the gaps didn't bother me at all. Pages that have just a single slot remaining probably bug me the most. So close, yet so far from completion.

That's exactly what we have here with the sixth page of my frankenset quest.

Completion status: 8/9

Number(s) needed: #48




The card: 1993 Donruss #46 Jose Oquendo

Why it made the cut...

I can't be completely sure that this is an authentic "double dip" shot, but I'm counting it as such for now.

That's the only bad thing about this particular mini-collection of mine. Not all of them are as cut and dry as, say, my "pitcher at the plate" theme. Some "double dips", like Mr. Oquendo, still leave quite a bit of mystery.

I guess this could be a failed attempt to cover second on a stolen base attempt, one that was marred by a wild throw from the catcher.

Either way, though, it's an absolutely fantastic action shot.

There's not much denying that.




The card: 1998 SI World Series Fever #48 Jeff Cirillo

Why it made the cut...

I've never declared "blowing bubbles" cards as an official mini-collection of mine.

Still, that hasn't stopped me from picking them up in dime boxes every now and then. Or from people sending me "bubbles" via trade packages.

And it certainly hasn't prevented them from being terrific frankenset nominees.

Just ask Jeff Cirillo.




The card: 1997 Upper Deck #49 Charles Nagy

Why it made the cut...

This is one of my personal "cult favorites" in this frankenset.

It's a card that I doubt many collectors particularly like. I'd guess the ones that do probably love it, though.

I know I do.

I can't say I've ever seen another Stairmaster appearance on cardboard. I've nabbed a decent amount of cards featuring players in the process of stretching, but not a whole lot of guys in full workout mode, as we have with Charles Nagy.

Plus, thanks to the dating innovation of '97 Upper Deck, we know for a fact that Nagy used that particular Stairmaster machine on March 13th, 1997.

I guess you can create a cardboard masterpiece pretty much anywhere.

Even in a weight room.




The card: 1995 Upper Deck Minors #50 Damon Hollins

Why it made the cut...

Bat barrel!

I don't recall ever seeing another "below deck" barrel shot like this one.




The card: 1995 Stadium Club #51 Rex Hudler

Why it made the cut...

I actually landed this one from a trade package that I haven't gotten around to posting yet.

You'll be seeing Mr. Hudler again soon enough on the blog. Such a goofy card is more than deserving of multiple appearances on a goofy blog like this one, anyways.

I once read that Hudler was busted for possession of marijuana.

After seeing this card, that doesn't much surprise me.




The card: 1994 Score #52 Jose Rijo

Why it made the cut...

Jose Rijo is already a frankenset legend.

This is his second appearance in these posts, and it certainly won't be his last. The guy simply had a lot of fun cards.

I know that squirt gun made multiple cameos on Rijo's cardboard during the course of his career.

It takes me back to the days when having one of those "Super Soakers" made you the coolest kid on the block.




The card: 1998 Collector's Choice #53 Kevin Orie

Why it made the cut...

Because of the awesome, awesome Cubs throwback, of course!

Judging by the old-time White Sox jersey in the backdrop, I guess you could consider this one a "double throwback", of sorts.

I'm guessing this shot of Kevin Orie was taken during the first ever Cubs-White Sox interleague contest on June 16th, 1997. Both teams sported throwbacks in that game.

Which means that it was probably snapped sometime during the same afternoon as one of my all-time favorite pieces of cardboard.

We're not ready to get off the throwback train just yet, though.




The card: 1998 Collector's Choice #54 Kevin Foster

Why it made the cut...

The very next card in the '98 Collector's Choice checklist features yet another awesome North Side throwback.

This time, however, it's of former Cub hurler Kevin Foster. And, yes, he did indeed start that interleague contest on June 16th, 1997.

To top it off, the back even features a photo of him hitting.

A legendary Cubs throwback and a "pitcher at the plate" shot?

That's tough to beat.

It's certainly an awesome way to close out a frankenset page.

3 comments:

JediJeff said...

The first card is definitely a DP turn. No way the 2B/SS is covering the base on a steal so much that his is taken out in that fashion. Also, the position of his throwing arm looks more like the ball was released because of how close it is to his body. If Oquendo was trying to avoid the runner in a bad throw to 2nd, that arm should be more extended.

In fact, doing some research, I am going to say that is a DP that was turned in the bottom of the 8th on July 19, 1192. That's Larkin sliding in. He singled to lead of the 8th and was forced in a DP from a ball hit by Hall Morris. Oquendo was playing 2nd that game and made the turn and throw to first.

Hackenbush said...

I'm not going to try to research it but I'm guessing the great Kevin Orie just launched an epic pop-up.

Mark Kaz said...

I had that very same Super Soaker water pistol. But I doubt I enjoyed it as much as Jose Rijo.

That Hudler card is a hoot!