Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Gems of Junk Wax Bracketology: The Sweet 16 (Pt. 3)


I just noticed that I just recently hit a blogging milestone.

This afternoon's "victors" post was the 800th in "Dime Boxes" history. I'm having a hard time believing I've written that many posts for this blog over the past year and a half.

But, here in post #801, I'll be presenting our next pair of "Sweet 16" tournament matchups. Voting on these will close this Saturday, June 8th, at 11:59 PM.

I know I'd have a hard time deciding between these.





#5 -- 1988 Donruss #625 The Ripken Family

VS.

#8 -- 1987 Topps #170 Bo Jackson RC

As I've mentioned a few times prior, the Ripkens are undefeated in this tournament.

Between Cal, Billy, and this very "Ripken Family" issue, they're a combined 7-0. In fact, Billy has already earned a trip to the "Elite Eight".

But, then again, Mr. Jackson has already emerged as a streak-breaker. He's the only person who's taken down anything from 1991 Topps thus far, defeating Roger Clemens' famous scoreboard-themed card in the last round.

The Ripkens are going to have a tough go of it against "Bo" here. Then again, they've surprised me quite a few times in this tournament already.

Never sleep on the Ripkens.





#7 -- 1994 UD Ken Burns Baseball #66 Bill Mazeroski

VS.

#11 -- 1991 Upper Deck #175 Fernando Valenzuela

If you're a fan of photography, then you're probably going to like this matchup.

The "Maz", of course, chronicles one of baseball's defining moments in staggering fashion. On the other hand, the Valenzuela is one of my most treasured "multiple-exposure" shots.

Also, I should note that the Mazeroski is the last "flashback" card remaining in this tournament. Past nominees such as Fred Merkle (courtesy of Conlon Collection) and Johnny Vander Meer (UD All-Time Heroes) were eliminated in past rounds.

In that department, "Maz" is the last man standing.

Does it have enough to defeat a worthy competitor in the Valenzuela?

That's up to you.

Either way, it looks like we have a couple of stellar "Sweet 16" matchups here.

The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

No comments: