Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Gems of Junk Wax Bracketology: The Elite Eight (Pt. 2)


Half of our "Final Four" is set.

Now, it's time for you to fill out the other half. We have a couple fantastic "Elite Eight" matchups on tap for tonight. I know I'd have a tough time deciding on them.

Before we start, I'd like to note that voting on these pairings will close this Friday, June 21st, at 11:59 PM.

So, without further ado, let's take a look at our last two "Elite Eight" matchups.





#8 -- 1987 Topps #170 Bo Jackson RC

VS.

#11 -- 1991 Upper Deck #175 Fernando Valenzuela

Winner will face 1991 Topps #170 Carlton Fisk (#9 seed) in the "Final Four".

To me, Fernando Valenzuela has been the premier cinderella story in this tournament.

Personally, I didn't think he'd escape the first round. My money was on Phil Hiatt.

But, against all odds, he's fought his way to the "Elite Eight", taking down Mr. Mazeroski in a big upset in the "Sweet 16". In fact, after the defeat of the '89 Fleer Billy Ripken in the last round, he's the last non-Topps brand card remaining in this tournament.

This time, though, "Fernando" has his hands full against Bo Jackson. The wood-grain of '87 Topps is arguably the most-appreciated set of the overproduction era, and "Bo" is perhaps the most remembered card from the checklist.

Still, I wouldn't get ready to punch Jackson's ticket to the "Final Four" just yet.

After all, that's the beauty of cinderella stories.

You just never know when they're going to surprise you.





#8 -- 1987 Topps #653 Kevin Mitchell RC

VS.

#14 -- 1992 Stadium Club #520 Wade Boggs

Winner will face 1991 Topps #760 Benito Santiago (#12 seed) in the "Final Four".

This should be a stellar matchup.

Mr. Mitchell surprised a lot of people by taking down the historic '92 Topps Cal Ripken in the "Sweet 16". Chalk it up to the unquestioned power of 1987 Topps.

Here in the "Elite Eight", Mitchell once again finds himself facing another formidable foe with the Boggs. It won't be easy.

At first, I thought the oddly awesome celebratory Boggs was a fairly eclectic card. I love it, but I wasn't sure how many other fellow collectors felt the same way.

Apparently, I'm far from the only one. Boggs has scratched and clawed his way to the "Elite Eight", taking down some worthy opponents in the process.

If I had to guess, I'd say this pairing will be an absolute fight to the finish.

Well, it's time to select your nominees for the two remaining "Final Four" slots.

The polls are now up on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

1 comment:

Mark Kaz said...

Ye-ouch! Mitchell '87 Topps vs. Mother of All Stadium Club Cards?!? My inner seven-year-old won over the debate on that one; had to go with Mitchell. Toughest call yet!