Monday, May 6, 2013

Let the magic happen


Backlogged.

If I had one word to describe myself right now, that'd definitely be it.

Since this is my last week of school for the semester, I'm especially busy with finals and studying and whatever other busywork my teachers feel compelled to give out this time of year.

And, as I've harped on over and over again lately, I'm more behind with the hobby than ever these days.

Behind on reading. Behind on scanning. Behind on trade posts. Behind on non-trade posts. Behind on mailing. Behind on organizing. Behind on everything.

The mammoth amounts of cards I've received lately has pushed me back to the "D" section of my sorting process. For what it's worth, this early Paul Konerko piece is the next to be filed away.

I've been eager to blog all week. And, while it hasn't been easy, I've managed to carve out a bit of periodic blogging time lately.

It's basically what's kept me sane these last couple weeks.

Strangely enough, that sanity is one of the many "magic powers" the blogosphere entails.




For the most part, this post is for all the prospective bloggers out there.

Even if you haven't completely realized it yet, I'm sure most of you current members of the blogosphere roster are already hip to the mystic qualities of this place.

Perhaps my favorite thing about the blogosphere is the fact that I can pretty much do what I want. It's my blog. And I can write what I feel, whenever I feel like it.

I don't write about what many would call the "mainstream" aspect of this hobby. I get a whole lot more joy out of noting the more unappreciated facets of cardboard, such as Corky Miller's horrific 1-for-39 batting line on the back of his '05 Topps Total issue.

Of course, there aren't any deadlines around here. Unlike my earlier blogging days, I don't see the need in forcing posts. I legitimately want to write on a daily basis, something I hope has come across thus far in my blogging career.

If you're not of the daily posting mindset, there's absolutely no problem with that. Or, if you find yourself a little behind in your trading (like me), that's fine, too.

No matter what, the people of the blogosphere will be here to support you.




That pretty much goes hand-in-hand with my next point.

I accepted long ago that I wasn't what you'd call a "normal" collector. I collect guys like Tanyon Sturtze and Tim Spooneybarger, not Derek Jeter and Albert Pujols.

I even make it a point to hoard cards that prominently feature bat barrels, for goodness sake.

Those aren't necessarily the hallmarks of your everyday collector.

As far as that goes, years and years on the trading forums made me feel as though I was in the extreme minority. For a long time, I thought "weird" collectors such as myself were on the verge of becoming extinct.

Of course, the blogosphere quickly showed me how very wrong I was about that. There are plenty of people still in this hobby for the right reasons.

People who don't need a latest-and-greatest uber-high end patch autograph to be happy. People who get excited over a new 1990 Fleer base card for their team collection or some neat oddball that they'd never seen before.

People like me.

If you're one of those "weird" types of collectors, then the blogosphere is definitely the place to be.




As I've found, the blogosphere can also be a great way to gloat over your new cardboard.

You have no idea how much I love writing about new card show or flea market finds. While I've tried to mix in a few random post topics here and there these past few weeks, most of my latest write-ups have basically been those of the "show and tell" variety.

And, while I try not to make it a habit around here, I'm completely okay with that for the time being.

I've been attending card shows and the like for as long as I can remember. I'd always come home with my usual stacks of discount finds. But, before I started writing, I'd comb through them and, in due time, file my finds away.

Blogging has added a sweet extra layer to the card show experience. Now, I get to pick and choose which cards I want to show off on the blog. I always try to guess which cards people will specifically comment on in the process.

Because of that, I come to appreciate my pickups in an entirely new way.

So, yes, as egotistical as it might sound, I do indeed enjoy to gloat over my finds a bit. Blogging has certainly helped in that department. Still, there's nothing wrong with that.

Right?




I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical of the blogosphere's powers at first, too.

Yet, at the risk of sounding like a bad infomercial, all you have to do is sit back and let the magic happen.

If you're still on the fence about starting a blog, start one. If you just recently broke into the whole blogging business, keep with it.

Pretty soon, I guarantee you'll come to realize many of these "magic powers" I've talked about.

That is, if you haven't already.

Sure, as far as cards themselves go, you'll receive quite a bit of help from the blogging brethren. I myself have received everything from a 1950 Bowman Enos Slaughter to stacks of new 2013 Heritage cards for my collection.

But, thanks to the amazing community we have around here, I think you'll develop a newfound appreciation for this hobby. One that extends beyond simply trading and receiving.

I know I did.

5 comments:

TTG said...

Great post. I enjoy when you blog about blogging.

Oh, and I had to kill off Friars on Cardboard because I signed on to write about the Padres elsewhere exclusively. It's now just a regular ol' card blog called From An Unlikely Source!. I inadvertently killed all my links when retooling it so now I have to inform all three of my readers individually...

Unknown said...

Ya know, it's really weird. I still have no idea why I blog other than to show off the cards that I have and that I bust. The thing is, tho, that's what most other card blogs do. You'd think after 4 years I'd figure out my own unique niche. Oh, well!

Zayden said...

I've experienced this magic from time to time and it sure is real. I love how you described it as having "mystic qualities"

I don't even have 100 posts penned yet but I sure don't have any plans of stopping anytime either, if anything I am going to amp up my production : )

Fuji said...

Best of luck on your finals and your 100% correct. Starting a blog and reading the hundreds of cardboard blogs I'm subscribed to has definitely gave me a newfound perspective on our hobby.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

I followed blogs for almost a year before starting my own. It has made card collecting way more fun and it's cool to see what other bloggers interests are.
I don't mind the "show and tell" posts at all, most of mine are that.