Friday, May 31, 2013

Gems of Junk Wax Bracketology: Victors from the Sweet 16 (Pt. 1)


The votes are in.

We have our first pair of "Elite Eight" nominees. Neither of the "Sweet 16" matchups in this region were all that climactic.

In the end, though, I think the right cards advanced.

Let's see if you agree.




#9 -- 1991 Topps #170 Carlton Fisk (21 votes)

def.

#13 -- 1994 Topps #180 George Brett (12 votes)

Perhaps the overall favorite in this tournament, the iconic Mr. Fisk pulled off yet another comfortable victory here.

Brett's 1994 Topps card is nothing short of legendary. Had he not faced the Fisk this early, I think I could've advanced even deeper into the tourney.

It's sad to see one of the greatest "sunset" cards in history go, but I think the voters got this one right nonetheless.




#6 -- 1989 Fleer #616 Billy Ripken "Rick Face" (20 votes)

def.

#2 -- 1989 Upper Deck #145 Nolan Ryan (12 votes)

As great as the "multiple-exposure" Ryan is, I knew this matchup wouldn't be much of a contest.

After all, the infamous Mr. Ripken is one of the more recognizable cards of the entire overproduction era. I think most of us can agree on that.

Plus, the Ripken family streak continues with this victory. All three of the Ripken-themed cards in this tournament are still alive as we speak.

These two victors will face off against each other in the "Elite Eight". From the looks of it, I'd say we have a good matchup on our hands with this pair.

I'll be revealing the next pair of "Sweet 16" matchups tonight, so be ready to vote!

Thanks again to all who have voted in this thing thus far.

It's been an absolute blast.

1 comment:

P-town Tom said...

Man, I was really pulling for the Ryan multi-exposure card. Oh well, my brackets always tend to bust pretty early anyways.