Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Gems of Junk Wax Bracketology: The Terrific 32 (Pt. 1)


Welcome, fellow readers, to the "Terrific 32".

The first round of voting proved to include quite the array of blowouts, close races, and surprises along the way.

Tonight, we'll be making our first foray into the "Terrific 32" with the initial region of the bracket. The matchups I'll be revealing tonight definitely include a couple of doosies.

Voting for this region will close this Saturday, May 11th, at 11:59 PM. Make your voice heard!

But enough stalling.

Let's get this show on the road.





#1 seed -- 1994 Topps #715 Hank Aaron

VS.

#9 seed -- 1991 Topps #170 Carlton Fisk

The initial matchup from the "Terrific 32" might well be one of the best we'll see during the course of this tournament.

Both of these cards were in the top fifteen of my "Top 100" countdown. From what I've seen, both are a couple of the more recognizable pieces from the overproduction era as well.

Needless to say, I can't wait to see how the voting plays out with this pairing.





#12 -- 1994 Topps Archives #251 Roberto Clemente

VS.

#13 -- 1994 Topps #180 George Brett

Here, we have another couple of my "Top 100" inductees.

I'm not sure what else I can say about either of these beauties. I've already gone on and on about them so many times in the past. 

The Clemente is, without question, near the top of the class in the "zero-year" category. The same can be said for "sunset" cards with the Brett.

In my opinion, both are among best the overproduction era had to offer.





#3 -- 1992 Score #888 Craig Biggio "Dream Team"

VS.

#6 -- 1989 Fleer #616 Billy Ripken "Rick Face"

I'm not sure that any "Terrific 32" matchup could be classified as a sure thing.

Given the strong performance of the infamous "Rick Face" in the first round of voting, however, Mr. Biggio would have to pull off a huge upset to reach the "Sweet 16" here.

But, hey.

As I always say, you just never know.





#2 -- 1989 Upper Deck #145 Nolan Ryan

VS.

#7 -- 1989 Upper Deck #452 Goose Gossage

Coincidentally, the final matchup from this region pits a couple '89 UD masterpieces against each other.

As I've mentioned before, the Ryan was the first "multiple-exposure" piece in hobby history. That alone earns it a huge amount of points in my book.

However, if I've learned anything so far, it's to not sleep on relievers wearing batting helmets. The "Goose" pulled off one of the bigger upsets of the field of 64, defeating a historic Wrigley Field card in the process.

Well, there you have it.

The "Terrific 32" has begun. As I said, this region certainly has its fair share of great matchups.

Polls are now up on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

4 comments:

Mark Kaz said...

First at the polls...Yes!!

That Fisk is gonna be a real sunofagun to knock off. And, ya know what, I'm okay with that!

The Junior Junkie said...

Dude. These are impossible.

Red Cardboard said...

Yeah that Fisk vs Aaron is killing me. I think I might have to go Biggio over The Face. I gave good memories of that set.

hiflew said...

Well it's two no-brainers vs. two very tough calls. I won't say which is which so as not to wield my incredible influence over the voting though. :)