Friday, October 14, 2022

Let the cataloging begin


Perhaps the biggest problem that's been facing my collection over the past few years is how to properly catalog it.

I like to believe I have a fairly good memory about what I have and don't have, but as my binders have grown fatter, my margin of error has gotten bigger. And while I don't necessarily feel that cataloging has ever been a dire need or anything, I've always thought it'd be useful to have a list to check everything against rather than having to pull out a binder every time I'm not 100 percent sure about something. Perhaps most importantly, cataloging seems like a lot of fun - if I could ever find a sensible way to do it.

I was a religious user of Zistle back in the day (remember that place?) - I thought it was incredibly user-friendly and was devastated when they had to shutter their doors. I have spreadsheets for my mini-collections and a few of my larger player collections, but plugging text into a box feels more utilitarian than fun sometimes. The monster that's loomed in the distance for a while now has been the almighty Trading Card Database.

I've mentioned a few times before how I've tried to use TCDB in the past and just couldn't get the hang of it - I love the idea of having photos & detailed descriptions of my cards available on the web, but found the process of navigating the site damn near impossible.




Over the last week or so, I decided to give TCDB one more go - and I'm happy to report that, while I still find the site a little clunky, I think I'm starting to get the hang of the place.

It definitely seems more catered to the set collector than the player collector (of which, of course, I am the latter), but I've started to realize how fun TCDB can be. I love the statistical component of it - it's scary to realize that what I consider to be a fairly formidable 125-card collection of Shohei Ohtani amounts to a hair over ONE PERCENT of his total catalog.

Scary, yes - but that's not the type of cataloging fun you're gonna get out of a spreadsheet.




I suppose now's a good time to mention that the cards in this post came from a healthy number of PWEs I've received from longtime friend-of-the-blog Jim (aka gcrl) of "cards as i see them" over the past few months.

Jim threw a couple Dime Box Dozen suspects my way with this pair of longtime needs. The function's been down for maintenance since I've started putting my cards up, but I'm also interested to see how some of my collections stack up against other TCDB users.

I'm probably way down on the list with bigger names like Carlton Fisk, but I can't imagine many people have more Paul Quantrill than I do - just another perk of collecting obscure guys, I guess.




One bonus of using TCDB that I hadn't considered is that it'll help me set up an accessible want list.

I have a tab on the blog of more recent stuff I need, but without stumbling upon the gap in my binders a while ago, how else was I gonna know I didn't have this painfully common '92 Stadium Club George Brett?

Not surprisingly, it became a Dime Box Dozen need - and also not surprisingly, Jim once again took it down pretty quickly.




Cataloging my player collections is going to be the main focus for me in the near future, but I hope to get my mini-collections going at some point too.

(I can always trust Jim to send me some weird regional oddball like that Lombardozzi I'd never seen before, and probably never would have without him.)




TCDB has also made me question other people's sanity - do some collectors really chase eight different copyright back variations from '91 Fleer?!

I'm all for collecting who and what you wanna collect - look no further than the 837 different player collections I have, including each and every one of these four dudes - but you have to draw the line somewhere.




Corey Kluber and Scooter Gennett were kinda big deals at one point, which is why I started collecting them - Kluber's still hanging on with the Rays, and I'm honestly not sure what cliff Gennett fell off of.




A couple more Dime Box Dozens from Jim, these of the Flagship variety - the 1% of Ohtanis I own is probably gonna look like a lot next to the colossal amount of Jeters I don't have.




More player collection randomness that'll find its way into the catalog at some point - that Turner reminds me that I've still never opened a pack of Topps Finest.




Closing things out is (what else?) another Dime Box Dozen need from Jim, this time of a particularly stern-looking Eddie Murray from '85 Donruss.

I fully and completely understand that cataloging my collection is gonna be a massive undertaking, and one that I'm not going into with any hopes of truly completing (which mirrors how I collect as a whole). I'm also not quite sure what I'm going to do about incoming cards - what comes first, the bindering or the cataloging? These are questions I'm sure I'll figure out down the line, but for now it's a joy to finally be able say to those four elusive words...

Let the cataloging begin!

13 comments:

Mike said...

Wow... this sounds like your kinda project!

night owl said...

I started the TCDB cataloguing in September of last year. I believe I'm done (except for incoming cards), but there's this nagging thought in my head that I've forgotten a box or a binder somewhere.

GTT said...

Welcome to TCDB! I've been a member for almost three years now, and I like it. But I haven't tried cataloging my whole collection - that would be too much.

Brett Alan said...

I've really never tried cataloging what I have. It sounds kind of fun but also daunting. The only thing I do have is a spreadsheet of my progress on trifectas--anyone who I get two of the three (auto, relic, rookie) goes onto the sheet, and I also list any pre-rookie and/or serial numbered cards I have of those players.

Robert said...

I've been on TCDB for quite some time. It does take a little bit of work, but for me it's been well worth it.

Have several player collections set up as well to go with the sets I have completed or am currently working towards completion. Kind of one stop shopping for everything...

Billy Kingsley said...

Catalog first, then put away! If you have to leave for some reason and not get back to it for a while, there's very little chance of remembering what needs to be done and what doesn't.

I've made that mistake and fixing it has been an absolute nightmare, and it's going fo require me to sort my entire collection again at some point in the future. In the end it's literally going to take me more than 10 years to fix.

gregory said...

Welcome back to TCDB! Cataloging a collection can take a lot of time, but it's time well spent for sure, as you alluded to in your post. Try to have fun with it, and set some reasonable daily and weekly goals, heheh. And if you feel like sharing your TCDB username, please do so!

Derek said...

Once you get the hang of it, tracking player collecting is pretty awesome! I'd say about 75% of my cards acquired for my player collections in the past 2or 3 years have been through tcdb

Jon said...

Good luck with the TCDBing. I had hoped to get all of my player collections on there, but ran out of steam after doing just a couple.

gcrl said...

Happy to contribute some of your most wanted cards to your collection. I still track my collection in my blog want lists and a spreadsheet in addition to TCDB. I still have 15 years of dodger cards to add to TCDB but I do plan to see it through.

Bo said...

I enjoy cataloging and have several different spreadsheets and lists for cards. I even have a matchbook spreadsheet!

It took me a long time to get into TCDB but I've started cataloguing just my tradelist, so it will be easier to make trades with non-set-collectors like you! It will be much easier to look up your PCs when this is all done. It's taken me about ten months and I'm not done yet, but the end is at least in sight.

Jafronius said...

Good luck with the TCDB project. Looking forward to seeing what players you're #1 in collecting.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Maybe I should try TCDB again. I got stuck on the degree of detail where not only do I not care about 8 different copyright slugs I don't even care about figuring out which one I have.