Tuesday, September 18, 2012

More habit-forming pieces of cardboard


Even though it's only Tuesday, this week is looking like the stuff of legend.

A few days ago, I fell victim to another "impulse buy". Luckily, it was one that only set me back about seventy cents. Personally, I'm shocked that I'd never known about this particular card before, especially given the fact that it's almost twenty years old.

Look for it in the next "Gems of Junk Wax" installment.

Since I had a little extra cash, I decided to pre-order my box of 2012 Topps Update. I've busted a hobby box of Update every year since 2007.

It's one of my little "traditions" in this hobby.

But there's more.

Last night, I stayed up to watch the entire rain-delayed Pirates-Cubs game at Wrigley, which started at about 10:45 at night.

I'm not sure how many of you have been lucky enough to take in a game like that, but it's a sight so see. Pure baseball, at its finest.

The stands were almost empty. There weren't any vendors going up and down the aisles. Len and Bob (the Cubs' announcers) had to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" because the original guest left before the game started.

The final out was recorded at about 1:30 in the morning.

It was great.

As expected, the Cubs lost to the Pirates, 3-0. But the score really didn't matter to me.

Moments like that make me take a step back and realize just how lucky I am to be a baseball fan.

Plus, I got to claim some free cardboard in the comments section of a recent post by Night Owl during a break in the action.

To top it all off, a trade package arrived on my doorstep last afternoon, courtesy of Robert over at "$30 A Week Habit".

His blog was one of the ones that introduced me to the blogosphere, back when I was just a starry-eyed reader.

After many trials and tribulations, Robert finally managed to knock off my last 2012 A&G base need, none other than card number 91, Grady Sizemore.

I don't know that I've ever felt worse for a player in recent history than Sizemore. It's obvious that the guy has the talent to be a superstar, but he just hasn't been able to put together a full season due to a few serious injuries in the last few years. He hasn't even played yet in 2012, and he'll be a free agent this offseason.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I've got a feeling that the team that takes a chance on him next year is going to get a real bargain.

I'm predicting a "comeback" season for Grady Sizemore in 2013.




People sure do seem to have a lot of extra Gypsy Queen inserts lying around.

They've been the main components of the last few trades I've made.

Robert was able to knock out a good chunk of my remaining 2012 GQ insert needs with our latest swap.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of the design, I'm loving that "Hallmark Heroes" insert of Koufax.

It almost looks like he's pitching in front of a rainforest.




I'd love to get most of my Series 2 needs taken care of before my Update box arrives.

Thankfully, Robert played a role in helping me accomplish that goal.

I've praised my adoration for these "Gold Standard" inserts since day one. I'm probably one of the only bloggers to do so.

Still, I'll be the first to admit that this isn't the best Tom Seaver card I own. Not the greatest picture selection on Topps' part.

Nevertheless, I'll always have a special place in my binders for anything featuring Mr. Seaver. That's for sure.

Hopefully, this great trade package is a sign of things to come. I'm already looking forward to seeing what the rest of this week holds in store.

Thanks, Robert!

2 comments:

Spiegel83 said...

I love a week full of great bubble mailers bursting from your mailbox. Good luck to you for the rest of the week.

Robert said...

My pleasure Nick, glad to help. Looking forward to some Blue Jays headed my way...