Monday, December 21, 2020

The big reveal


I left a couple cliffhangers in last week's post about the Year of Dad, and I'll just clear things up now and say that the big card I was searching for and eventually found was a 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese!

I repeat: I now own a 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese! It's a piece of history that's basically unmatched in the baseball card canon, a masterwork I've always considered to be one of the most beautiful cards ever made. The only problem was that I was forced to admire it from afar. I'd never even sniffed the possibility of owning a copy. Heck, I don't know that I'd even call it a Dream Card, because it seemed more unattainable than any dream I'd ever had. Even off-condition copies routinely sell for at least $400-$500, and safe to say I don't have that kind of cash.

This was also one of the few times I was actually a bit picky about condition -- I saw a few affordable copies online, but they were all either creased to hell or in generally rough shape, obscuring the beauty of this incredible baseball card. It took a bit of searching, but I finally found a solid copy for a good price -- mine only has a couple small creases at the outer edges, and some light scuffing in the middle, minor flaws I can easily live with. The Vidal Brujan autograph I showed in last week's post basically paid for the Reese, and it seems serendipitous that the most money I ever got for a baseball card in turn funded the most expensive baseball card I've ever bought.

I don't know about you, but I'd make that trade every time.

----------------------


The other cliffhanger I left, of course, was the contest to determine who would be getting the 1963 Topps Sandy Koufax my dad accidentally bought me.

We had 24 total entries in the giveaway, which I threw into a list and randomized three times -- and the winner is [drumroll]...




Congratulations, Kirk! Please shoot an email with your mailing address to me at nickpecucci AT gmail DOT com -- and feel free to let me know of any specific player/team/etc. collections of yours I can add to your prize pack.

Thanks to all who participated, and, in case I don't post before then, a (early) Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate!

21 comments:

Shlabotnik Report said...

Wowsers! Congratulations on the Pee Wee! That is certainly a centerpiece of any collection!

Elliptical Man said...

That's insane. Brujan doesn't even have his own Wikipedia page.

I see that I finished 5th of 24 for the coveted Koufax. I'll take it.

Michael Gray said...

Congrats on the Reese! Love it. That's a card you will enjoy every time you see it.

defgav said...

That's a classic, alright. Congrats!

night owl said...

I have that card. Someone GAVE it to me.

Yup, every time with that trade. I don't even know who that other dude you mentioned is. If I pulled his card, I probably wouldn't know it was worth anything.

gcrl said...

Congrats! Now you need another one for your double play collection.

The Diamond King said...

Wow, awesome! I'd make that trade 400 straight times and never give it a second thought!

Fuji said...

Sweet Pee Wee! It's definitely one of the greatest cards ever made. I want a copy eventually, but I'll probably just focus on adding a reprint to my collection.

P.S. Thank you for the contest... and congratulations Kirk!

Nick Vossbrink said...

An all, time classic of a card. That's sweet as hell. Congrats.

Chris said...

Fantastic "trade"; congrats on owning such an iconic card! And congrats to Kirk for winning the '63 Koufax.

Laurens said...

What a stunning card with an image that is a masterpiece.

GTT said...

I've wanted that card for a long time too, so hopefully sometime I'll pull a card which can pay for it.

Matt said...

Congrats on the Pee-Wee! What a fantastic card!

Jon said...

I see it all the time on Twitter, but am still constantly amazed at how much people will pay for cards of athletes who have yet to accomplish anything of note, and more often than not, will never accomplish anything of note.

Bo said...

Congrats on the Pee Wee. I had to look up Brujan, 22 years old never played above AA, biggest asset is his speed. Highly unlikely to have even 10% of the career Pee Wee did.

Mike said...

So glad you nabbed that whale,dude...and glad I could help facilitate it!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Double congrats, for both ends of that deal.

Jafronius said...

Seems to be a no brainer to me. Pee Wee wins hands down.

Thanks for the contest and Merry Christmas to you!

gregory said...

Wow. That Reese is a Dream Card, for sure. A piece of art, too. Congratulations are in order, especially with the way you acquired such a gem!

Also, do I receive some sort of consolation prize for finishing 24th out of 24? ;-)

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Merry Christmas to you!

acrackedbat said...

Sweet Bowman Color Reese! I fantasize about owning this set, and particularly that card! Thanks for the generous contest. Hey, I made the top ten!