Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Keep your hands off my Big League


I broke down and grabbed a box of 2023 Topps Big League, which continues this year's recurring theme of failing to control my card-buying impulses.

With the recent demise of other cheap sets like Opening Day and Topps Stickers, Big League is really the last true low-end brand standing these days. Admittedly, I can't say I'll rue the axing of either of those two other sets - but the thought of losing Big League scared me. I probably wasn't alone in thinking Topps had killed it - the lackluster 2021 release didn't actually come out in early 2022, and there wasn't a 2022 Big League set at all.

Which made it an unexpected surprise to hear that Topps was planning a 2023 Big League set, and, better yet, that it'd be among the first releases of the calendar year.




I've probably spent more money on Big League packs/boxes than any other set over the past few years because it's simply a fun rip that provides a whole lot of bang for your buck - a trend that definitely included this box of the 2023 edition.

True to form, 2023 Big League gives us yet another solid design that mirrors what a good, minimalist design can bring to the table - I'd probably rank it a shade beneath my personal favorite BL designs of 2019 and 2020, but not by much.




An unexpected joy was seeing the first (though obviously airbrushed) cards of Guys on New Teams, which always earns a set points in my book.




But 2023 Big League is not without one overwhelmingly glaring flaw.

The base checklist claims to be 310 cards, but that's a bit of a lie because Topps introduced a dumb staggering system where certain cards are way harder to get than others. Only cards 1-200 are true base cards, the last 110 are short-printed to varying degrees (with #s 301-310 falling 1 per case). These rainbow foils fall one per pack, and while I don't mind the idea of "chase cards," I think it's incredibly stupid to do it with the standard base checklist. 

Make the "chase" an insert or parallel or whatever else I wouldn't mind never owning - don't rob me of precious base cards in a set that's not even that big to begin with.




The real tragedy here is that I'm not really sure why Topps did this at all - the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage comes to mind.

I did luck out a bit with pulling Julio Rodriguez as my 1-per-box blue foil, but it's a card that seems even dumber when you consider that Rodriguez already has a card in the standard base portion of the set. 




It's a shame because I really like everything else about 2023 Big League - and that includes the inserts.

With Opening Day gone, Big League is left to carry the mascot torch these days - and while my video gaming years are long behind me, those "8-Bit Ballers" feature some excellent Nintendo 64-ish riffs.




Graffiti art is always welcome on baseball cards, which makes these "Roll Call" inserts a thrill.

They also feature the only "retired guy" appearances in this year's set, and although I don't think legends really need to be in Big League at all, I can't complain about a new Roberto Clemente!




These wacky inserts are teeming with 1992 Topps Kids vibes...and I absolutely love it.




Finally, we have the "City Slickers" inserts, which focuses on the game's "City Connect" jersey trend, something that's quickly been growing on my mini-collection radar.

It's kind of a weird thing to explain: do I like the Red Sox "City Connect" jerseys? Not really. Do I want cards that show them? Yup. All told, there aren't really any boring inserts in 2023 Big League, which certainly isn't something you can say about many sets out there.

I hesitate to say that the weird short-printing ruined 2023 Big League, because I still like this year's set a heck of a lot. Everything else about it is about as top-notch as you can ask for out of a brand these days.

If Topps could've just left their grubby mitts off of it, we'd have something that comes very near perfection...but, alas.

17 comments:

Chris said...

This is Fanatics' fault, isn't it? Topps wouldn't have been this dumb on their own.. would they?

Mike said...

Yeah, that is a BIG drawback.. but, wow, ALL those inserts are fantastic!

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Big League has some new Cubs that aren't in Topps Series 1, so I was excited about that!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Yeah, I scored my Big League cards April Fools Day. Even had the gold foil #305 Hank Aaron in my hands and the dealer changed his mind on the deal (pulled back the 5 colored cards). Put it on Ebay because those Legendary cards were going to sell for $200.00 a piece. He didn't get that ($53.50). I wonder if he knows that he lost me as a customer for $50.00 because of what that tiered system thing Topps did. What really drives me nuts is that this set (yes I do love it for the reasons you said, and hate the one you do too) is that Topps promoted it as a set for kids, BS. Cards 201-250 aren't hard to come by, but you'd have to spend a couple of grand to get the last 10 cards. Doesn't sound like a kids set to me. That doesn't even count 251-299. I certainly hope Topps drops the tiers next year.

Jeremya1um said...

Glad you were able to get a box. I’m still hoping to find some at Target. If you happen to come across a Raymond mascot, hit me up and I’ll trade you something for it.

Metallattorney said...

I haven't been able to find it around my area, which is really frustrating. New Red Sox cards of Justin Turner, Kenley Jansen and the rookie card of Masataka Yoshida are in it.

night owl said...

As soon as I found about the tiered system, me and Big League were through. I'll buy the Dodgers singles (but probably won't overpay for the foil stupidity), and that's it.

Nick Vossbrink said...

HAAATE the short printing (especially in how it completely screws some teams). Also hate the pricing (more expensive than flagship) now that Opening Day is dead and this is being erroneously billed as the entry-level set. Which is a shame since if it were cheaper and didn't have the shortprinting BS it would absolutely be a lot of fun.

Jimetal7212 said...

Same default answer as others; I just can't do it. BL is ruined for no good reason other than greed.

Mark Zentkovich said...

👍

John Bateman said...

They tried to make a Pokeman game out of Baseball Cards -

They could of kept GQ around and short printed the retired players

Fuji said...

Had no idea Topps dropped Opening Day. Just figured it was delayed. As for Big League... it's a nice product and I'm a fan of most of the inserts. But the tough to pull SP's in what is supposed to be a "kids" product is silly. I'll still pick up a box if I stumble across one... or possibly buy a 1-200 set, because I've gotta get my hands on one of those Soto "shuffle" cards.

Matt said...

If you're going to market a set for kids, at least give them a fighting chance to complete the set. Heck, give them a chance to just all of their team cards! Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

GCA said...

Does anybody really buy more and more to get the short prints? Or do you quit after a few boxes and give up or never even try to pull them?
Topps, this strategy doesn't work. You'd sell more if you kept it simple. But you can't, can you?

Jafronius said...

Yep, short prints are for collectors, not kids, the target audience. Also I think they dropped the Trivia section on the back also. That's a bummer.

gcrl said...

first of all, thanks for sending me a couple of dodgers from your box! i was on the fence about this release until i had those cards in hand. i figured i would seek out the dodgers, with the exception of the jackie robinson gold card.

i found myself at a lcs yesterday and bought a box for $50. thanks to the tiering, i can probably recoup my outlay with what i found (red foil rutschmann among others). it was a fun break - better than 2021 big league for sure - but as much as i like having a dodger jd martinez card, they photoshopping of uniforms is pretty bad across the board.

in the end, your second to last paragraph is exactly how i feel about the set.

Adam Ryan said...

I haven't had much experience with Big League aside from the first couple sets. Was thinking of grabbing up a blaster but think I'll skip it now and maybe get some singles from Card Barrel or something when they have a sale.