Tuesday, July 30, 2019

The (Second) Dime Box Frankenset, Page 14: Numbers 118-126


Frankenset Page #63 WINNER -- 1993 Topps #565 Jerald Clark (10 votes)

Last week is a good example of why the most important part of this frankenset is you voting on the cards rather than me just talking about them.

My favorite nominee from this page is the John Grubb, and I thought he'd win easily. I pegged Jerald Clark for maybe a third- or fourth-place finish. Lo and behold, Clark took the crown, and it wasn't particularly close. He led pretty much all week, earning 10 of the 35 total votes for the easy victory (Grubb finished second with seven).

Now, thanks to all of you, I'm left to realize that there's a whole lot of beauty on this card than I initially saw -- and, yes, it sure did deserve to win last week.




Thankfully, we're back to a completed page this week -- the Random Number Generator came up with #14, so we'll be looking at that page (#s 118-126) tonight.

Let's meet the hopefuls.



1998 Fleer Tradition #118 Rico Brogna

Throwing it back to the Negro League's Philadelphia Stars franchise.



1998 Topps #119 Orlando Merced

That one ain't coming back. 



2019 Topps Opening Day #120 Dee Gordon

One of this year's more memorable cards, I think. 



1993 Upper Deck #121 Hal Morris

The leap is great, but the fan reactions are better. 



1994 Upper Deck #122 Jose Vizcaino

Proof that even my least favorite sets can still produce wonderful cards. 



1991 Fleer Update #U123 Tony Fernandez

Turning two at Wrigley. 



2009 Topps #124 Reed Johnson

At the wall at Wrigley. 



2017 Stadium Club #125 Randal Grichuk

Okay, so maybe I do have a slight bias towards Wrigley Field cards. 



1993 Upper Deck #126 Robby Thompson

We began with a throwback, and it ends with a throwback.

That's it for this week's page. The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

4 comments:

Mike said...

No contest for me this week...Morris!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Brogna almost had my vote, but I've gotta go with my Brave in the background card (Vizcaino) the brave is in a complete tumble head and all.

Fuji said...

Tough choice this week. Love all of the action. I went with Merced chilling at the top of the wall.

Matt said...

I'm going with Gordon for a fun reason - if you view this scene as the ball still heading towards Gordon, then the implied movements he makes seem like he's running away from the ball. Hilarious!