Friday, September 14, 2018

The (Second) Dime Box Frankenset, Page 9: Numbers 73-81


Frankenset Page #10 WINNER: 1992 Studio #86 Jose Lind (16 votes)

Not much of a surprise here: Jose Lind and his trusty sword cruised to the win last week, taking 16 of the 38 total votes in a blowout victory.

I'm guessing (hoping?) that Lind was some sort of machete enthusiast, but other than my own hypotheses I have absolutely no explanation as to how or why a sword ended up on a baseball card.




In a fun statistical turn of events, this week's page actually precedes last week's in my frankenset binder: after spitting out #10 a week ago, the random number generator came up with Page 9 (#s 73-81) this time around.

So let's meet some more low-numbered nominees.



1994 Topps #73 Billy Spiers

The elusive faux-back/double dip combo. 



2011 Topps Update #UH74 Henry Blanco

A masterful baseball card if I ever saw one. 



1992 Donruss Triple Play #75 Felix Jose

The no-holds-barred action of...eyeblack applicant. 



2004 Upper Deck #76 Jay Gibbons

Defunct-team throwbacks rule! 



1993 Topps #77 Junior Felix

One of a fascinating PATP trio from '93 Topps. 



2014 Gypsy Queen #78 Marcus Semien

I've never checked, but I'd bet the White Sox lead the world in throwback cards. 



2018 Stadium Club #79 Mike Clevinger

A throwback-dominated page continues with flashbacks to the Bloody Mary look of the '70s. 



2005 Upper Deck #80 Jeff Conine

The media hailstorm. 



1962 Post #81 Ryne Duren

Ryne Duren's Coke-bottle shades make this the one and only Post card in either of my frankensets.

That does it for this week's page. The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

7 comments:

Mike said...

Wow,really tough choice this time!...but gotta go with CIA hitman Duren,haha!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Gotta go with the 2018 TSC. Just an all around great photo, but the Post comes in a close 2nd for me.

Matt said...

That Blanco card is just too pretty. It gets my vote!

Brett Alan said...

Personally, I'll never understand why people think a baseball card of a guy holding a sword is a good idea, let alone better than a card of a guy in a Mudville Nine uniform. But that's me.

Fuji said...

I love vintage oddball issues like Post... but I'm just 'bout that action boss. Blanco's play at the plate set gets my vote.

Bo said...

Yes, Lind was a knife/sword enthusiast. There are other cards with him and knives as well, including one with Kansas City where he is wearing one in a sheath while he warms up. Here it is: http://garveyceyrusselllopes.blogspot.com/2014/04/an-initials-memorial-for-royals-owner.html

Bulldog said...

I do love Triple Play and 2011 Topps! Great cards. Thanks.