Friday, August 24, 2018

The (Second) Dime Box Frankenset, Page 6: Numbers 46-54


Frankenset Page #49 WINNER -- 1996 Upper Deck #434 Al Martin (9 votes)

No real competition last week: Al Martin & Friend jumped out to an early lead and never looked back, taking nine of the 25 total votes en route to victory.

I've long had an affinity for just plain goofy cards, and this one definitely fits the bill -- I'm excited to forever showcase it in the Gallery of Frankenset Champions.




The random number generator spit out #6, so we'll be taking a look at that page (#s 46-54) of the frankenset this week.

I'm happy that a lower number finally came out, as those pages tend to be a bit better on the aggregate since they generally have more options. It's tough to fill the higher numbers sometimes since relatively few sets have checklists of more than four- or five hundred cards (especially considering this is the second of two frankensets). 

So let's take a closer look at our first lower-numbered page, shall we?



1993 SP #46 Pat Borders

The one and only card I own of a dude with his skull sliced open. 



2012 Bowman Chrome #47 Andrelton Simmons

Double dipping over Bryce Harper. 



1987 Topps #48 Wally Backman

A classic play at the plate from '87 Topps. 



1994 Score Rookie/Traded #RT49 Jody Reed

Another notable double play cameo, this time in the form of none other than The Kid.



1981 Fleer #50 Jamie Quirk

Batting cage hubbub.



2017 Stadium Club #51 Travis Jankowski

A rare dual mini-collection hit here (throwback and at the wall!). 



1999 Fleer SI Greats of the Game #52 Joe Rudi 

Joe Rudi's famous web gem from the '72 Fall Classic.



1998 Collector's Choice #53 Kevin Orie

Turn of the century throwback! 



2015 Stadium Club #54 Bip Roberts

Sombrero Bip, revisited.

That does it for this week's page. The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

9 comments:

Trevor P said...

Wow, I reeeaaallly want to vote for that Simmons because it's awesome and it's a rookie, but I'm going to have to go in a different direction. I won't say which; I'll just keep my vote a secret.

Mike said...

Man,ALL of these are great!

Brett Alan said...

Hankies ki and Orie are both great photos, but I voted for the former because the latter card is a bit too busy.

defgav said...

Gotta go with my boy Bip.

And btw, pretty sure that's Dave Clark giving the devil horns to Al Martin.

P-town Tom said...

When I first saw the picture of all 9 cards at once I thought immediately it would have to be Bip... but that Joe Rudi card is awesome! Looks like he was plastered to the wall!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Lots of great ones this week! Tough choice for sure.

Fuji said...

Rudi. Rudi. Rudi.

Henry Blanchette said...

This could be one of the closest pages yet. The last 3 cards especially made it very tough, though I can't rule out the Jaime Quirk card either.

Defenders50 said...

I love that Kevin Backman's back is... to the man (catcher).